Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is GlimmerBlocker safe to download?

Since I just got my Air recently loaded with Lion, I keep getting a MacKeeper pop-up asking me to consider downloading it, but I know it's malware, and some others too that I have no intenesion of downloading. I just want to know if GlimmerBlocker is safe to load on Lion?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 11.6", 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 2GB

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:33 AM

Yes, I have been using it for some time now. I find it to be much better the AdBlocker which was only able to block a small percentage of the popups.

Allan

8 replies

Jan 20, 2012 12:13 PM in response to schoodle

Popups are very difficult to eliminate entirely since 1) they're usually brought up by JavaScript on a web page and so not amenable to easy blocking - the built-in popup blocker in browsers usually won't stop these - without turning off JS and 2) the sites often move around and so are difficult to get a good pattern on for creating a block script in GlimmerBlocker. You can try to create a filter yourself, and GlimmerBlocker has some additional filters here that might help:

http://glimmerblocker.org/wiki/Filters

but often they'll block content you want, so as Allan said it may not be worth the effort unless you're just being plagued with popups in the sites you visit (I might mention that I've never come across a MacKeeper popup myself, so either GlimmerBlocker is doing a better job for me or we just travel in very different web circles).

Regards.

Mar 29, 2014 6:38 AM in response to Schwabihabi

Schwabihabi wrote:

It is total ********. It includes a lot of malware and spams your brower full of "unseen" ads. Do not download it, it doesnt help it it makes it even worse!!! Please belive me. 😟

GlimmerBlocker is legit, and used by many experts on these forums. It does not include any kind of adware.

You probably made the mistake of downloading it from Download.com, where the legit GlimmerBlocker installer is wrapped in a custom adware installer, without the permission of the GlimmerBlocker developers. See Boycott CNET’s Download.com.

Is GlimmerBlocker safe to download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.