Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Outlook from my Macbook Pro

Hi all,

i've been though all the ups and downs (mainly downs!) of Microsoft Office 2011 and decided that Apple Mail is the best way to go as far as the mail side of my laptop is concerned. After almost a month of changing over from Outlook to Apple Mail I haven't had so much as one error message! Fantastic when I tell you that on the worst days Outlook crashed and gave error messages around once every 4 hours! And thats even after loggin numerous support calls with Microsoft and rebuilding my database time after time....

Anyway thats all in the past now and Apple Mail is definatley the way to go.. Now I still have Microsoft Outlook, Word, Powerpoint and Excel on my laptop and I wondered if anyone knew the best way to remove/uninstall Outlook? I still need the other apps so its only Outlook I need to remove.

Hope someone can help, thanks

Time Machine-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 9:08 AM

If you no longer want Outlook you can just drag the app to the trash. Other support files will still be on the machine (various locations) but they are small in file size and shouldn't cause any concern.

10 replies

Jan 20, 2012 3:31 PM in response to matthewfrombasingstoke

Thanks for the information guys, and please to hear its helped others too John.

Outlook is a really good application and when I was a 'Windows' person I wouldn;t have been able to do my job without it, however as an 'Apple' guy now there are so many other options other than Outlook you don't feel as pressured to have Outlook and I think i've proved that Apple Mail is just as good for doing the same job.

I hope Apple will update Apple Mail along the way, there are a few pieces that I would love to be 'enhanced' to bring it up to the sort of application that Outlook pretends to be. For example I have noticed that the rules in Apple Mail don't always work and it would be good to be able to write more complex ones - i'm not sure if theres an add-on anyone knows which would help here?

I've downloaded and applied 2 add-ons to Apple mail to help with notifications, these are growlMail (available for free now and DockStar which enhances the notifications too, i'd recommend to look at both.

Any other 'add-on' experiences would be interesting if anyone has any?

thanks again

Matt

Jan 20, 2012 3:36 PM in response to matthewfrombasingstoke

I agree about Outlook and in many ways I find that Apple Mail is a more lightweight, easy to use application. However I find it very difficult impossible to easily create groups and to occasionally modify those groups when people drop out/new people join. So for that I use Google Mail, which has come on by leaps and bounds in recent times and is very good - with the only drawback that you can't use it when you're offline as I often am.

AppleMail notifications works well and I do agree about DockStar, which is a real boon and should actually be built into AppleMail-

Removing Outlook from my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.