Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does it matter what order memory is added?

Using iMac 27", Intel i7, 2.93 GHz, Intel mid-2010, OS X (10.6.8). The machine currently has 8GB onboard (BANK 0/DIMM0 2GB, BANK 1/DIMM0 2GB, BANK 0/DIMM1 4GB) and adding another 4GB. Should I move the 2GB modules to the DIMM1 positions and have both 4GB modules in the DIMM0 slots, or just add the new 4GB module to the empty slot (BANK1/DIMM1)? Thanks for any help you can provide.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 27",Intel i7, 2.93, Mid-2010

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 10:53 AM

7 replies

Jan 20, 2012 11:15 AM in response to baltwo

Thanks for the RAPID response. I'm trying to get the greatest amount of performance for the least expense and effort. The old conventional wisdom was to have the largest memory module(s) in the primary position, which I would assume would be the DIMM0 slots. My machine came from the factory with the DIMM0 slots filled, the technician that I purchased it from added the 4GB module at purchase and seemed pretty disinterested in everything except collecting his fee.

Jan 20, 2012 11:36 AM in response to Redeemd

Forget the conventional wisdom. My iMac runs as fast as anything with the setup I described. The article linked by pierre describes how you can do it yourself, saving money,states:

i5 and i7 Quad Core iMac computers come with both top memory slots populated. These computers will not start up if only a single DIMM is installed in any bottom slot; these computers should operate normally with a single DIMM installed in any top slot. Core Duo iMac computers should operate normally with a single DIMM installed in any slot, top or bottom. ("Top" and "bottom" slots refer to the orientation of the slots in the pictures below. "Top" refers to the slots closest to the display; "bottom" refers to the slots closest to the stand).

Nov 17, 2015 5:42 AM in response to baltwo

I think the Apple site has a typo in this.. Everywhere online I look, people refer to the "top" or "upper" slots as being the uppermost ones when the iMac is laying on the screen....the two slots that are closest to the stand. However, Apple very clearly states in this help document that the upper slots are closest to the screen.

Does it matter what order memory is added?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.