It's amazing, it lasted a whole two months this time. Then it came back. Worse. In addition to the permissions cluster-****, The "server" will not allow any administrator-level users to log in. I'm shocked Apple isn't being class-actioned over this bull, perhaps the lawyers were running Lion too and are locked out of their case files?
I'm bringing in my PC tomorrow so I can actually get some WORK done... re-diculous!
The only thing really failing on me out of the blue, untill I spend a lot of time working on the issue, is Profile Manager. Previous solutions don't seem to last. Grrr...
Let's hope that Tim Cook has something good and solid to offer, as Steve Jobs must have been hindered by his deteriorating health when Lion was developed and released...
Anyway, the Mac is the best hardware to run Windows on, so you don't have to bring in your PC, you could just use Bootcamp for that purpose.
I had multiple IP's set on my server, which randomly seemed to switch. It seems like there is an incompatibility still between Server Admin and server.app. Since Apple is pressing developers to test server admin and server.app I am confident those problems will resolve eventually, but for now I have deleted all-but-1 IPv4 and 1 IPv6 address (same interface), the networking interface overview for my server within Server Admin was updated and it looks like it works solid now, this was not by design I presume, so this must be another bug plaguing Lion...
After upgrading Postgres to 9.1.3 and upgrading webmail (upgrade: usr/share/webmail) from www.roundcube.net, making a new site webmail.example.com with the files stored in /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/CustomSitesDefault/webmail/ I made a symbolic link from that 'directory' to the actual built in webmail facility found in /usr/share/webmail by entering the following in terminal.
ln -s -i /usr/share/webmail/ /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/CustomSitesDefault/webmail/
By doing this it will ask to remove a directory, if you didn't put any important files in there, which I presume you didn't, confirm with the letter y and press enter.
Webmail now works every time the way I want it
I am having the exact problem with a QNap File Server, my permissions file became corrupted after doing the latest firmware update. However I can not attribute it to the firmware itself as the system worked fine until after about a week.
My actual problem, when logging in as the admin account I am able to download files from the server via the web interface, although when I log in as a user with read only permissions set on the file share and try to download a file it downloads as a Zero Byte file with no contents. On the other hand when I try and download a Folder containing files it zips the folder with the file contents and downloads correctly. as was in the above post I have spent countless hours on the phone with tech support first, second and third tier technicians and all of them said the same thing, wipe and reinitilize the server from scratch.
What the heck is going on here.