Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update meta data glitch?

I'm trying to update some albums that were tagged as compilations by properly updating the album artist. After I make the tag change, then press "update itunes match" it resets everything i've just done.

Anyone know of a fix for this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 11:39 AM

42 replies

Jan 20, 2012 12:25 PM in response to djroketboy

Thanks for the replies.

@mracole, While match might not be changeing my song metadata, it certainly is NOT keeping the changes made in tact.

@Michael, yes, i'm aware of that limitation. I make sure that Match it NOT running while making changes.

I have tested this by removing 1 albums from complilations, then "updating itunes match" after match it done, the album will be marked back in compilations.

After typing this, one idea popped into my head. It might be iTunes 10.5.3, as I updated to it this morning, and haven't had this problem in the past. Either which way, changes are not being replicated to the server.

Jan 20, 2012 1:33 PM in response to djroketboy

Perhaps the best route to be certain would be to:

1. Make a secure backup of the library;

2. Turn off iTunes Match;

3. Correct the local metadata as you wish;

4. Make a further secure backup of the library;

5. Turn iTunes Match on.

Should any metadata not be propagated as intended it can easily be restored from the secure backup at step 4.

Local trials on my libraries have all been successful - please do update with the outcome. The assumption here is that you do not have Songs being accessed on other libraries in a way that may conflict.

Jan 20, 2012 1:45 PM in response to mracole

Thanks for the tip, I actually tried similar to that. I just didn't back anything up (I have Time Machine running, just incase). I thought it might be some corrupt mp3's but, I have tried this with matched m4a's as well with the same results.

I made a ton of changes with match turned off, turned it back on and some were updated properly; but most were reverted. I have checked the drive they are stored on for permissions and verified the disk itself, no problems.

I have all other devices turned off, and acutally unlinked all my accounts yesterday.

I've been using Match since release, and have never had this problem. I'm honestly thinking its this new version of iTunes. Its really the only thing that has changed that I can see that could possibly cause the problem.

I have also just put a ticket into Apple about this.

Jan 20, 2012 1:51 PM in response to djroketboy

The secure backups allow you to revert Song files and ensure that you do not have any wasted effort in reapply the changes. iTunes 10.5.3.3 certainly works with the iTunes Match service to propagate metadata changes.

It will be interesting to see the Apple response - with my libraries working as anticipated it is difficult to isolate the likely cause. Can you post some screen shots of two examples - one that works and one that reverts?

Jan 20, 2012 2:27 PM in response to djroketboy

mracole beat me to the suggestion to turn off iTM to make your changes. It is possible that you've got some permissions issues with the files that are not holding the changes. If you get a chance check the permissions on just one of the files. They should be you: read & write; staff: ready only; everyone: read only.

I don't seriously think that is the issue but it is worth a check. Let us know what you find.

Jan 20, 2012 3:00 PM in response to djroketboy

Very interesting, but I might have a solution.

I updated a few files and they seemed fine, I changed album artist and some track data. Then went on to some other albums and updated that data. Went back to teh first and the data had stuck, it was as it should be. So I then went and set (off) the compilation tag, went to the second album and set that compilation tag (off). As soon as the second album was done updating the files the first showed back up in compilations. So...

I decided to try a different approach.

I opened the first album in finder, closed iTunes, then dropped the files into tagr (mp3 tagging program) unchecked "compilation" box. Re-opened iTunes, and the album is no longer listed under compilations.

Just to note, I did check the permissions and they look fine.

Jan 20, 2012 3:09 PM in response to djroketboy

Would still suggest a few brief screen shot illustrations would help see exactly the challenge you are facing.

iTunes Match does not interfere with metadata - yet from your description you are making changes to metadata which are not only not propagated but are subject to some mysterious changes (revertions) that you have not initiated ... it sounds incredible ...

Update meta data glitch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.