Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail shows empty message body

I have Mail setup for both my home account (gmail/IMAP) and my work account (Exchange). Sometimes my work Inbox will list a new mail message that says under it "This message has no content") and, sure enough, when I click on it, it'll show the header (from/subject/etc) but no body.

The problem is: everybody else in my group *does* have a body to their email. None of the other users are Mac Mail users - most of them use Microsoft Outlook (one uses Thunderbird with IMAP).

Is this some known bug in Mail? Is it just a poor implementation of whatever proprietary protocol MS Exchange uses? In other words, if I switched over to using IMAP, will this problem go away?

[Ancilarily, I also sometimes don't see attachments that everybody else in the group sees :-(

Any info/help is much appreciated.

P.S. I'm on a MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.2 - all the latest updates.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 12:39 PM

25 replies

Feb 22, 2012 8:21 AM in response to CyberDj

Not quite the same - I do see 99% of message bodies when connected to Exchange server. But every now and then a message will arrive with no body. There was a discussion on this in Snow Leopard days (apparently sometimes the email messages coming from Exchange server are not properly delineated, confusing Mail - but there was no solution given in that discussion).

A bug should really be filed on this, but I don't know how to do this. And, I'm sure, the first thing an Apple developer will ask for is a reproducible case - which I can't give because it happens so infrequently.

Feb 22, 2012 8:28 AM in response to tjwolf

Well you are luckier then. My case os 100% reproducible. I tried all the solutions here for different mail problems but none of them helps. The strange thing is that I have no problem with the same Exchange account on my IPhone and Ipad. Webmail also works fine. Outlook for Mac has the same issue - message list there, but no body content. Our IT tried everything with the server but it has no issues elswhere, only with my MBP...

I am stuck and praying for a Mail update which might solve this.

Feb 22, 2012 8:37 AM in response to CyberDj

Our Exchange server also supports IMAP. If yours does too, maybe you can go that route as a workaround? My colleague, who connects using Thunderbird/IMAP, never has those empty messages. I haven't gone that route (yet) because my issue is not *that* urgent. But if you don't see any message bodies, it might be something to consider.

May 17, 2012 10:28 AM in response to tjwolf

I've been having this problem recently and until there's a solid solution, here's what I did:

1. Download Cocktail
  2. Select the "Interface" icon on top
  3. Select the "Mail" submenu
  4. Check the box ""View all messages in plain text"

This will obviously mess up HTML emails, but at least you can now view emails those troublesome exchange emails that won't display.

-craig

May 30, 2012 12:07 PM in response to Craig Col.

Tried everything else, so I thought I might as well try Cocktail. It didn't work for me.

My scenario is under Lion and Mail 5.2 -- Random attachments will not View, cannot be Saved and cannot be forwarded. Attachments that are there and show the paperclip icon along with the message Qty count, in addition to the size of the message. You can see the message under VIEW --> MESSAGE --> RAW SOURCE and see it is still attached, but be accessed any other way.

I have it occuring on a Macbook Pro with Lion (10.7.4) and it randomly occues in POP, IMAP and iCoud accounts.

Have tried:

Permissions

Repair Volumes

Delete Preferences

Uninstall Mail Add-Ons

Reload OSX Lion

Hoping Apple will help on this soon.

Jack

Sep 13, 2012 8:53 AM in response to tjwolf

As a follow-on to my original problem: recently, when I received yet another message from a colleague that had "no content", I went into the actual Inbox data file for this server (in my case they're stored in various subdirectories off $HOME/Library/Mail/V2/<MY_EXCHANGE_SERVER>/Inbox.mbox/876E11A7-0635-4BF2-80DF-8 4F5C2F6F18C/Data/

For instance, one of my incoming emails was stored in:

$HOME/Library/Mail/V2/<MY_EXCHANGE_SERVER>/Inbox.mbox/876E11A7-0635-4BF2-80DF-84 F5C2F6F18C/Data/9/9/Messages/99847.emlx

I found that there, the message actually had a body! So, apparently, the Mac Mail client just can't make sense of it (due to embedded control/xml/whatever tags?) and displays nothing :-(

Sep 27, 2012 7:24 AM in response to tjwolf

I just started seeing the same problem. 99% of messages are fine but the 1% don't have anything in the body &amp; attachments don't show. Interestingly all the mail in question is from people at the same company.

I'm using gmail &amp; when I access gmail through the browser, it looks fine.

I'm using Mountain Lion. This didn't used to be a problem. I'm not sure if it started with ML or OS6.

Restarting Mail doesn't fix it.

Oct 3, 2012 8:51 AM in response to tjwolf

I'm running OSX 10.8.2 and Mail 6.1 (1498) and it's since the upgrade to Mountain Lion I've noticed this. For me it's only when I force a refresh of mail that it fails to load the body - letting it arrive naturally (Check for mail every 5 minutes) then the mails arrive fine. Restarting Mail resolves it and it only seems to be a problem for my Exchange account. Defo sounds like a bug to me but I'm new to the support forums so not sure what the next steps are!

Nov 17, 2012 7:48 PM in response to tjwolf

I have the same problem - but it's only with my work email account. Emails randomly arrive blank (though this has diminished in the last few months) and attachments randomly get stripped out (this, sadly, has not diminished at all). With the attachment issue, if I login through the online interface rather than the Mail client and can find the email, then the attachment is always there.

The issues all started when work changed over to the MS Exchange server in January 2012. I'm using Lion (all updated - 10.7.5) and Mac Mail (now 5.3) on multiple machines (2 iMacs, 1 Macbook Pro) and, like some of the other users here, the attachments show up on my iPhone and iPad even when they don't show on the computers.

I've actually given up on the work email and am telling everyone to use a new gmail account I set up instead. The gmail doesn't seem to have any issues with the attachments (though it does have a few other random issues) or blank emails.

Has anyone heard anything new about this? Is there a fix in the works anywhere?

Jan 28, 2013 7:41 PM in response to theatrelady

Same issue with Exchange. I've got my Gmail account with almost 100k messages and it loads every single one just fine, but my Exchange inbox with only 76 messages can't load the 77th one. Work around is to view raw source or resetting Mail.

On a similiar note, when ever I get on or off of VPN Mail hangs. When I remove my Exchange account I can get on/off VPN without issues.

So essentially, Mail is a POS when it comes to the corporate world.

Mail shows empty message body

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.