Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete the annoying Mail app which I never use?

It pops up as a new blank message if I try to answer a Hotmail message. Can it be disabled or removed completly?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 1:39 PM

Yes. Drag it to the trash. The system will ask for your admin password. Enter it to complete the move to the trash.

30 replies

Jan 20, 2012 10:21 PM in response to flowerpower1966

It's a shame you don't care to use it. When I transferred from a Windows PC to a Macintosh, I installed MS Office for Outlook, as I don't care for web mail and had no interest in learning a new mail program. However, I decided to give it a shot, and now I wouldn't go back to Outlook if someone paid me.

Apple Mail integrates so well into the other Mac Apps, including iCal, Address Book, iPhoto and the attachment downloader and vice versa. With the Group option in Contacts, it makes it even easier when receiving email from new members I wish to add to Contacts. Just pop 'em into whichever Group they belong and just about every prompt includes a "custom" option, so if I need any new "title names", I can jusst create them on the fly.

Yes, I definitely like Mail, and unless my next job involves a Windows machine, I don'g forsee a switch back go Outlook any time in the future. I would consider the suggestion from @WZZZNYC in the event you may want to give this "annoying Mail app" a try one day in the future.

Just my 2¢ ... Good luck with whatever you decide.

May 27, 2014 5:55 AM in response to Robin208

You posted in an old Snow Leopard, 10.6.x topic from over two years ago. From the message, you are using a newer OS. At least Lion, 10.7.x.

Apple, for whatever reason, decided starting with Lion that any app installed by OS X should never be removed. Even such incredibly indispensable software like Chess.

To get rid of Mail in Lion or later, highlight the app press Command+I, or choose Get Info from the top menu bar (same thing). Click on the lock at the lower right of the panel that appears. Enter your admin password so you can make changes. Expand the permissions section if necessary. Change all permissions to Read/Write. Close the box. You can now remove Mail.

May 27, 2014 8:49 AM in response to Robin208

You are quite welcome. 🙂

Actually, I'm not quite sure what my avatar is supposed to be. I got it from a very old icon named "Lompster". A concatenation of lobster and monster I assume. I then redrew it in Illustrator since it was only 32 x 32 pixels. I just liked the goofy look of it. 🙂

Would love to visit Japan. I just don't know when, or if they may ever happen.

May 27, 2014 9:23 AM in response to Robin208

There must be something that's launching it. With Lion or later, that could be in a few places. Check the System Preferences in these locations:

1) Users & Groups. Click on that icon, then your account. Click on the Login Items tab. If any Office apps are listed there, highlight them and click the minus button.

2) General. Click on that heading and turn on the check box for "Close windows when quitting an application".

Choose to shut down the computer. Uncheck the box for "Reopen windows when logging back in". Then click the Cancel button. Your change to the check box will remain. Do the same with Restart.

That should stop apps from trying to launch themselves.

Can I delete the annoying Mail app which I never use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.