Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the entire song is in the right channel?!

I thought my headphones were broken!

In a only single file in GarageBand, the entire song is in the right channel. All of the tracks but 2 are software instruments that I recorded from a MIDI keyboard. The other 2 are loops from the library. Every track is panned at 0 - left & right. I checked the master track and there's no pan option. If I select a new software instrument for recording it's only in the right channel.

If I open a completely new file and do the same thing, it's panned normally, in both left and right. Everything else on the computer is in stereo - itunes, the duck when I change the volume, you name it. Just this one file - NOTHING in the left. If I pan anything to the left, it can't be heard.

I tried saving the song as a new file - same thing. I created a new song - and the sound is fine - stereo.

Is my song file corrupt? Is there something I can try? Am I going mad?

MacBook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 5:24 PM

philsown wrote:

Is my song file corrupt?

hopefully not

philsown wrote:

Am I going mad?

could be, but it's hard to tell from here

philsown wrote:

Is there something I can try?

yes.

i think you probably have mouse that can scroll (magic mouse, etc). there is an invisible pan knob on the master track, if you place the cursor to the right of the popUp menu for the Master Volume, Pitch, etc, and scroll your mouse, you'll see numbers appear describing which way the Master track is being panned.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2012 5:24 PM in response to philsown

philsown wrote:

Is my song file corrupt?

hopefully not

philsown wrote:

Am I going mad?

could be, but it's hard to tell from here

philsown wrote:

Is there something I can try?

yes.

i think you probably have mouse that can scroll (magic mouse, etc). there is an invisible pan knob on the master track, if you place the cursor to the right of the popUp menu for the Master Volume, Pitch, etc, and scroll your mouse, you'll see numbers appear describing which way the Master track is being panned.

Jan 20, 2012 5:37 PM in response to HangTime

Thanks. I forgot to mention that one. Hithertofore, I had no idea there was a master track, so the entire time I was recording, it has been hidden. I showed it and discovered the little scrolly thing, but there's no effect. No difference. I don't see a "master pan" option in the pull down menu. And when I'm on "master volume" and I hold my mouse over that spot and scrolly wheel, the numbers change +64 down to -64, but the pan doesn't do anything... I tried it with the little colored box next to "master volume" clicked and un-clicked.

Jan 20, 2012 6:15 PM in response to philsown

philsown wrote:

I hold my mouse over that spot and scrolly wheel, the numbers change +64 down to -64, but the pan doesn't do anything.

huh.

then it's possible that something got corrupted. the good news is that as long as you can open the project, you may still be able to recover your performance.

here's a tutorial for "rescuing files":

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/Tutorials.html#allaboutrescuingfiles

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

Jan 20, 2012 6:23 PM in response to HangTime

My god I was just reading that. Been googing for a while about Pan and decided to switch over to looking for stuff about corruption. I was just about to try it when I got the reply alert. I'm all like hopeful now. Especially since there's no effects and everything is basically MIDI. Probably way easy and destined to work.

So - Dude. You're awesome. You've answered everything ahead of time. And you were funny at the same time.

I think I am going mad though, but that's unrelated to this situation.

Mar 26, 2012 4:56 PM in response to philsown

hi there,

I was just helping a friend out with this same problem and found the solution. Garageband responds to MIDI Pan control change messages (CC#10), even though it has no master pan/balance control.

What probably happened to him was that one of the knobs on his controller keyboard sends out Pan messages, and he accidentally knocked it. If the master track is selected, the entire song will pan left/right.

I hope this helps. Good luck out there

O

Why is the entire song is in the right channel?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.