Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash is empty but shows number

Have e-mail set up, everything works but, when I empty trash everything is gone but it keeps showing a number.i tried restarting and # 4 is still there.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 6:13 AM

I've had this problem a # of times. I've discovered that the source of the problem is this; when I open my trash folder to begin emptying it, there is a lag where at the bottom of the screen it says "connecting". Your trash folder is being updated how many messages in trash have been unread. If you start deleting messages before your folder is updated and one of the messages you deleted is unread, it will leave a number of unread messges. So if you deleted one unread message prior to the folder catching up, at the end of your cleanup you will see Trash (1) at the top. If you are quick enough to delete two messages before the folder catches up you would see Trash (2). Then if you were to the following day do the same thing, the number will increase. When cleaning up your trash folder, it is important to open the folder and give it a few seconds before deleting any messages.

If you already have this #, the only way I've found to deal with it so far is to go to your Settings > Mail Settings and delete the account and then set it up again. This should clear that number.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2012 6:13 AM in response to Lecash

I've had this problem a # of times. I've discovered that the source of the problem is this; when I open my trash folder to begin emptying it, there is a lag where at the bottom of the screen it says "connecting". Your trash folder is being updated how many messages in trash have been unread. If you start deleting messages before your folder is updated and one of the messages you deleted is unread, it will leave a number of unread messges. So if you deleted one unread message prior to the folder catching up, at the end of your cleanup you will see Trash (1) at the top. If you are quick enough to delete two messages before the folder catches up you would see Trash (2). Then if you were to the following day do the same thing, the number will increase. When cleaning up your trash folder, it is important to open the folder and give it a few seconds before deleting any messages.

If you already have this #, the only way I've found to deal with it so far is to go to your Settings > Mail Settings and delete the account and then set it up again. This should clear that number.

Nov 15, 2017 12:11 PM in response to VHS327

It actually works! I was afraid to do it because I thought I right wipe out my Inbox messages, but of course it did not. Thank you very much for the tip! I have been trying to figure that out ever since MS took away the ability to delete all junk mail! That number appearing when there was no mail in the junk mailbox was making me crazy! Very irritating! But now I know what to do. Thanks again!

Jan 20, 2012 6:11 PM in response to Lecash

I don't know if the feature is provider dependent - but I don't know why it would be - but I have 4 email accounts on my iPad and I have never seen a number associated with the number of deleted emails in my trash folders - only the new emails.

Maybe there is some notification for trashed emails that I never set up ....

May 19, 2015 11:41 AM in response to Lecash

I had the same problem and was trying to find another way to "wipe out" this number in trash folder. and accidentally I got the way. If you haven't been able to sort this problem out yet then go to Settings - Mail,Contacts,Calendars - click on your Account and switch Mail off. Then turn your phone off and then on, go to back to the previous Menu and switch Mail back on. That's it. There is no need to delete account and set it up back again.

Trash is empty but shows number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.