Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling iWorks and Rosetta doesn't work... am I missing a step?

If an app isn't working, what else do I have to do other than reinstall it from the original distribution disk? There are two situations (Rosetta and iWorks 09) where the reinstall reported no problems but the apps don't work. If there are Library files I am supposed to remove by hand it isn't clear to me what I have to do.

Details:

Have 10.6.7 install DVD and iWorks 09; had some RAM fault that was repaired but left me suspicious about disk files, so reformatted and reinstalled 10.6.7, restored what I could from backups, and applied latest update (10.6.8, v1.1)... but some apps not working even after tried reinstalling Rosetta several times (for MS Office 2004 and another app) and iWorks 09. Apps that need Rosetta try starting up a unix shell :-( and iWorks 09 gives a segmentation fault when starting. I suspect the restore from backup brought system files that were either corrupted or the wrong version - but shouldn't the reinstall of apps or upgrade has rectified this (and I wouldn't have thought my restore from backup was overwriting system files fresh from the 10.6.7 install, but I may be mistaken). Did try re-applying update after reinstalling. Further note: running from an external hard drive with 10.6.7 (no update to 10.6.8) still has problems with those apps... but could experiment further. Disk itself reports no S.M.A.R.T errors; my guess is that some extraneous (Library? User??) files exist that the install/upgrade process doesn't touch but the apps choke on and die?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated, thanks,

Mark.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), also involves 10.4 system DVD query

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 6:40 PM

2 replies

Jan 20, 2012 8:54 PM in response to maitch

oops... meant iWork without the s. Don't think I can edit my post above.

Double oops!

Sorry, my brain slipped a cog when I said "segmentation fault" above when I meant SIGTRAP and the details are:(breakpoint, Exception codes 0x2,0). The (probably useful) message after that was:

Symbol not found: _SFAAutosaveUserActivityException

Refrenced from: /Applications/iWork '09/Pages.app/Contents/MacOS/Pages

Expected in: /Library/Application Support/iWork '09/Frameworks/SFArchiving.framework/Versions/A/SFCompatibilitgy

(that last-mentioned file does exist)

Also: iPhoto just spins the rainbow disk when I try to do anything useful - in case that's a further clue. Oh, and iWork 06 works okay.

On other systems I'd uninstall and know the disk is clean of these misbehaving apps, then install... I'd try reinstalling iPhoto if I thought it wouldn't be awaste of time based on iWork. If somebody could tell me the list of files associated with an app to move away somewhere to do the equivalent of an uninstall or equivalent apt/rpm package remove in other systems I'd be interested. I think there used to be an xml list of associated files with some apps???

Mark

Reinstalling iWorks and Rosetta doesn't work... am I missing a step?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.