Skip navigation

Relocate Masters results in inconsistent filenames. Fix?

1614 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 10:16 PM by Peggy Lynn RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Peggy Lynn Level 4 Level 4 (2,470 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 20, 2012 7:11 PM

I just started using Aperture so it's quite likely I missed something painfully obvious but I can't get all of my Relocated Masters to have names that match the Version Name. Two version names out of eight images aren't complete as they appear in the file names in the finder. How can I get Aperture to use the entire version name for a file name for all the files?

The two questionable files' version names look like this in Aperture.

Aperture File 3 Version Name

Aperture File 7 Version Name

The Relocate Masters window looks like this.

Aperture Relocat Masters Window

The output looks like this in the finder.

Aperture Finder Relocate Masters

Mac mini, 2.7 GHz i7, SSD, 750GB HD
  • léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,550 points)

Hello Peggy, there are two possible reasons:

• Can it be, that you have created multiple versions of the same image withdiffernt versions name? Since those share the same master, Aperture wil have to pick one of the version names when relocating, and maybe it will not be the one you expected.
    • Or you may have versions of different masters with exactly the same version name. Then Aperture will be forced to pick a different name for one of the masters, since the name has to be unique.

You can avoid both problems by using a custom version name with index or counter. set the name format selector to "Edit" and add a name format of your own, that uses the version name and something that makes the name unique, like counter or index.

Regards

Léonie

P.S: Also may check, if your version name contains special characters, that are not suitable for filenames.

How exactly did you export? Did you export the masters or the versions? Do the image files with the wrong file names have a common property - a special image format, different permission settings, very long file names? Can it be that your custom file name would be too long for the volume you are exporting to? How is the drive formatted that you are exporting to? MacOS extended or another format?

It is important to me to have meaningful finder organization of my photos with meaningful names outside of Aperture.

I don't want to sound patronizing, but we just had a very long discussion here on the pro's and cons of browsing Aperture's library from the Finder. You may want to read this and perhaps reconsider your motives It is error prone and risky - and  i.e. if you do not get the filenames right ..

Browsing the library in Finder. Is there a logical way to do it?

Regards

Léonie

Anyone?

Peggy, I am running out ouf ideas - hopefully somebody else will also look on.

I could reproduce the file naming problem in my library,  but that does not match your examples. When I relocate master files, and the version name is very long, then Aperture occasionally uses not the very long version name, but the shorter original file name.

Also the relocated masters with wrong filenames were always part of a pair sharing the same master.

I have to experiment a little before I can suggest anything else.

Léonie

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,570 points)

leonieDF wrote:

Anyone?

One thing to check, fwiw.

Peggy -- how have you confirmed that there are no problematic characters in the Version names?  The names that show in Aperture should break at a word or a letter, but it seems yours might not be.

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png

I see this on my machine:

and

Of course, it's hard to tell from Peggy's screenshots if this is the case or not.  Just a thought. 

Thank's for dropping in here, Kirby. And your data seem conclusive - a really good clue. I've asked Peggy already, if there are illegal characters; I usually have problems with "umlaute".

None of the filenames use illegal characters.

and that was her answer, but the problem with invisible characters is, that they are -hmm- invisible.

Hello Peggy,

I finished experimenting, but no further results.

The behaviour you observed is buggy, and i suggest to write a bug report.

Aperture menu -> Provide Aperture Feedback.

Initially I had been a little confused by your referring frequently to "relocating your masters" as "exporting", but now I understand what you want to do. Exporting and relocating are very different things in Aperture as you know, but the options and controls do look similar.

But may I suggest, that since you think of "relocating" as "exporting", that you give exporting your masters a try?

This way, you would kill two birds with one stone:

• create a backup of your masters at the same as you gain free access to your master images.

Having a backup of your masters is highly recommended and would give you more safety then just relocating your masters. And you would be free to rename any exported image file, if the name given by Aperture does not please you.

Still no solution, but maybe a first step towards a work-around

Cheers

Léonie

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (22,830 points)

Jumping in late here so this may be covered somewhere in this thread but seems tome the question to be asked is how did these versions get name this way to start with. There is no way to put a line feed or carriage return into a version name in Aperture at least as far as I have found.

So how did these versions get named? where did they come from, where were they before being imported into Aperture.

From the bit of reading through all this I've done it seems that the exported versions are being named as well as can be expected.

If the version name is showing up like this in Aperture: (BTW what is the filename of the masters for these versions?)

The two questionable files' version names look like this in Aperture.

Aperture File 3 Version Name

Aperture File 7 Version Name

Then having the files names like this on the export

Aperture Finder Relocate Masters

is correct. You can't have line breaks in a filename. So again the question becomes how did these get named and imported this way.

In the long run the easiest thing for you to do is to just rename these versions to have valid names.

Again if this has all been covered then I apologize and you're free to disregard this all.

Welcome Frank, it is always great to be able to pick your brain. I just played around with AppleScript to create corrupted filenames, to confirm what they would look like:

on run {input, parameters}

tell application "Aperture"

activate

set imageSel to (get selection)

if imageSel is {} then

error "Please select an image."

else

repeat with i from 1 to count of imageSel

set im to item i of imageSel

set the name of im to "test123

456.png"

end repeat

end if

end tell

end run

This inserted "\n" into the version name:

Here is what the version looks in the Inspector and the relocated master in the Finder:

Regards

Léonie

linefeed.png

There are funny markings at the end of the filename.

linefeed2.png

But if you look ar the Preview, you see that the filename contains all parts of the name, but you do not see it in list view. So perhaps Peggy should have a look at the exported masters with "Get Info" or look closely at the Preview.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.