Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Video quality is poor - Apple TV

Does anyone know why the music videos purchased in the iTunes store are not HD or a higher resolution than what they are? I have an Apple TV in my home theater room with a 106 inch screen and the videos look like I am playing a VHS tape. I don't understand how I can watch HD movies and TV shows on my ATV but Music Videos look like crap! I have about 74 music videos too!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.33 Dual Core; 1st Generation

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 9:10 PM

10 replies

Jan 21, 2012 2:56 AM in response to DVX100Shooter

I agree they are generally dire. Annoyingly many UK TV Shows are poorly encoded too. VHS quality is a fair approximation I'd say.

Many I've bought are older form the 80s so I wouldn't expect them to be that great in quality, but even so many are far poorer than they should be.

While newer videos have better production quality in general their resolution is so low that it's really apparent on a bigger screen.

It's purely an itunes store problem not AppleTV.

My opinion is that they don't care too much about the quality assuming that most users will be viewing on iPods or iPhones, and they may well have kept the resolution and bitrates lower in order to allow users of such devices to pack more media on the relatively limited storage space of these devices, especially the solid state based ones.

AC

Mar 24, 2012 4:02 PM in response to DVX100Shooter

Wow. I have trying to figure out how to re-download HD versions of my music videos so I can view them on my Apple TV and after doing some research realized that the problem is these videos haven't been made available yet. I hope someone at Apple is reading this and realizes that if they really want this Apple TV business to take off they need to provide HD music videos alongside HD movies and TV episodes.

Mar 24, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Enrique_Wash_Heights

Enrique_Wash_Heights wrote:

Wow. I have trying to figure out how to re-download HD versions of my music videos so I can view them on my Apple TV and after doing some research realized that the problem is these videos haven't been made available yet. I hope someone at Apple is reading this and realizes that if they really want this Apple TV business to take off they need to provide HD music videos alongside HD movies and TV episodes.

Yes, going forward for contemporary music video they really should be looking at this - I may be wrong but I'd find it hard to believe they shoot modern music vids in SD.

For older stuff you're not going to get HD quality, however many are much worse thn they should be.

In fact, I have a feeling that music videos look much worse on AppleTV3 than they previously did.

AC

Mar 26, 2012 11:44 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Newer music videos are all shot in HD. This is apparent when you go to youtube/vevo and watch the music vids in 720/1080p.

You can of course, use any number of Firefox addons to download the HD music videos off youtube/vevo and then use a pass-thru/remuxer like iVi (available on app store) or Remux to rewrite the headers of the videos to make them idevice/ATV compatible without recompression.

BTW 1080p converted youtube vids look GORGEOUS on the new ATV/ipad3!

May 31, 2013 10:50 AM in response to Viper200

Viper200 wrote:

Newer music videos are all shot in HD. This is apparent when you go to youtube/vevo and watch the music vids in 720/1080p.

You can of course, use any number of Firefox addons to download the HD music videos off youtube/vevo and then use a pass-thru/remuxer like iVi (available on app store) or Remux to rewrite the headers of the videos to make them idevice/ATV compatible without recompression.

BTW 1080p converted youtube vids look GORGEOUS on the new ATV/ipad3!

That annoys me so much.

When I didn't have the means, I could still watch music videos in HD for freebs per your description. Now I'm able to buy them (and I want to), but as far as I can see the legit source is rubbish.

Am I missing something or is this one of those ineffable Apple things that I have to come to terms with if I'm going to join the herd?

Music Video quality is poor - Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.