Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest update resets all settings

I am furious, so I thought I'd pass along this warning to be careful performing the latest update from Apple for your Apple TV. The latest update tonight completely reset all of my settings. Every password, screen saver, time zone, standby, wifi setting was gone. Everything. It's like setting up your Apple TV for the first time. Only now you get to reconfigure everything you've tweaked over the many months all at once.

Definitely don't perform this update if you intend to watch something right now. You'll be out of commission for 30-45 minutes scrolling and clicking everything back to the way it was.

I wish Apple would have warned me before wiping my Apple TV clean.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 10:26 PM

4 replies

Jan 21, 2012 3:08 AM in response to sbowman

I wasn't aware there was a new update.

They posted some time back that upgrading some versions cause this issue but not the last incremental update i can remember.

I can understand your frustration but presumably it's an effect of your previous firmware or they'd have altered the newest one to preserve the setting as it used to.

What version are your running - must check to see if there's a new version.

Jan 21, 2012 1:25 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Yes. Apparently before I update my Apple TV I should go online and check with them. Probably wouldn't have updated, given that it doesn't look like the update really did much for me.

It was when the update went from 4.2 or 4.3 (I don't remember which I had) to 4.4. Then right after that there was another update, to 4.4.4. That one, fortunately, didn't cremate my settings.

But like I said, the update doesn't appear to do anything. I haven't really had any problems with Netflix or iTunes purchases in months, and I've never had any network connectivity issues with wifi streaming movies from my MacMini. Maybe they are fixes that are more appropriate for Windows users.

Jan 21, 2012 1:30 PM in response to sbowman

Sometimes it's tricky to fathom what an update has given you if anything - always easier if it breaks something you use!

I'm not one for updating for the sake of it to be honest if things are working, however there are often security fixes as part of the update process that are not explicitly described so probably best to have them up to date.

AC

Latest update resets all settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.