Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The backup session failed.

I restored my iPhone 4 from backup and iTunes showed me: iTunes could not backup the iPhone "xxx..." because the backup session failed."

Please help!

Thank you for your reply!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 1:55 AM

10 replies

Jan 21, 2012 4:12 AM in response to ondrejfromtábor

Do you have iCloud setup? If you have made a backup then you can restore it from iCloud and not from iTunes. Connect on wifi and try and restore from iCloud

How content is restored to a new device

When you go through Setup Assistant on a new iOS 5 device, choose "Restore from iCloud Backup" and enter your iCloud account and password. You will see the three most recent backups for each of the devices on which you enabled Backup. Choose which backup to restore from.

After your device restarts, your settings and accounts are restored and Backup starts downloading your purchased music, TV shows, apps, books, Camera Roll, and other content.* You may be prompted to enter the passwords for all accounts enabled on your device.

A progress bar will appear underneath the apps that are being downloaded. To prioritize the restore of a specific app, tap its icon. Restore will attempt to download the same version of the app that you had installed previously. If that version is no longer available, the latest version of the app will be restored.

If you are using iTunes Match (U.S. only), you can download any of your songs, albums, or playlist from iCloud after the restore is complete.

To check if the restore is complete, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859

Jul 9, 2012 12:10 PM in response to -=Rusty=-

I was syncing iphone with itunes on my lap top and I got at the end of the sync a pop window "itunes could not backup iphone cuz backup session failed" so I disconnected and reconnected and it backed up and synced fine. I also restarted and tried again and it backed up and synced fine.

The thing is with the ios 5 it doesn't create a new backup every time. It overwrites the older backup. So my questions are:

Could the reason be that maybe it couldn't access the existing backup to overwrite it?

Since it worked fine when i tried again, could just have been a one time communication error between phone and computer? Or do I need to diagnose deeper into the matter?

Just wanna make sure it's fine, nothing permanent sine I panic very much from the pv and the iPhone not communicating properly.

I'm using iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1 not jail broken and my lap top is running windows vista and the latest iTunes.

Any help is really appreciated

Jul 9, 2012 12:17 PM in response to mira_ishak

Look at the thread you just posted to. There is a link to a tip on resolving backup issues.

BTW, iOS 1, 2, 3, and 4 also did not create new backups. And iOS 5, like the earlier versions, does not "overwrite" the previous backup, is does an incremental backup, only backing up what has changed since the last backup.

If you want a clean backup just go to the parent of the backup folder and rename the current backup folder to something else. The next backup will create a completely new backup.

The backup session failed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.