Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iBooks ever be fixed?

iBooks crashes on iPad 2 whenever I try to use it.

I have tried every workaround/fix recommended on this forum. Nothing works.

This is the only such experience I've ever had with Apple software and the app cannot be used at all.

Very disappointing because I can't open any of the new text books I've downloaded.

Apple - please fix this great but unuseable app.

MacBook Pro 09

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 7:31 AM

Yes. According to an article in USA Today:

Apple has owned up to the issue. In a statement provided to USA TODAY Saturday morning, the company said, "We're aware of a small number of iBooks 2 users having issues with the playback of the introduction movies when opening iBooks textbooks. It will be fixed soon in an upcoming software update."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2012/01/apples-ibook s-2-flunks-first-test/1

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2012 7:31 AM in response to David Auckland

Yes. According to an article in USA Today:

Apple has owned up to the issue. In a statement provided to USA TODAY Saturday morning, the company said, "We're aware of a small number of iBooks 2 users having issues with the playback of the introduction movies when opening iBooks textbooks. It will be fixed soon in an upcoming software update."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2012/01/apples-ibook s-2-flunks-first-test/1

Jan 25, 2012 3:19 PM in response to David Auckland

As a workaround I am now using Goodreader to read my books.The pdf books I have in my iTunes folder can be imported to the Goodreader app via iTunes.

If you have the same problem as I (and it looks like thousands do) this link will show you how to import your files into Goodreader.

Apple - please fix iBooks. It's a great app but there are so many of us iPad 2 users missing out on it.

Feb 20, 2012 9:23 PM in response to David Auckland

Arrghhhh...

ibooks will not work. i upload about 300 books... while itunes is uploading them to the ipad i can see them all but they have the black line there and cannot be opened.. then when itunes has finnished updating if i open ibooks

all i see is a black shelf and i can't scroll and have no options....

how frustrating!!

It works ok if i delete the library and install perhaps three books, but any more than that and it freezes everytime.

come on apple! please help

Mark

Mar 10, 2012 1:52 PM in response to Illuminartist

My ipad 1, WIFI 16 GB worked perfectly for 11 months until I upgraded IOS 5.1 on February 22 ... I have been pulling my hair out ever since ... constant crashes of both IBooks and Safari, incomplete syncs, no sync of books and that ever loving "kiss of death black line" ... through both pdf and e.pub files. I only use the IPAD for 2 things ... reading books and internet surfing and the only application I have added is IBOOKS so there shouldn't being conflicts ...

Yesterday, I went ahead and upgraded Itunes to 10.6 (40). Once update was complete, I downloaded the new IBOOKs 2 through ITunes ... of course it wiped out all of the books I had on my ipad and then I couldn't get the stupid program to even open. Since I can't sync any books, I have another Apple paperweight ... just like my Time Capsule. After numerous resets, completely deleting IBOOKS from IPAD, etc. I finally decided to try a direct download to IPAD ... skipping ITUNES. Talk about slow ... I finally gave up at 4:30 a.m this morning.

At 9:30 a.m. this morning, I was shocked to find that IBOOKS 2 was on my IPADand it opened although it was slow. I downloaded 10 books directly to IPAD ... 5 pdf and 5 epub ... no problems ... worked like a charm so I decided to try a sync of 10 more books through Itunes. You got to love that KISS OF DEATH BLACK LINE ... same old crap.

It's definitely software related ... too much for my 56 year old, menopausal mind to handle ... it brings back "unfond memories" when I used to use PC's and Windows ... If any comes ups with a solution ... please post. Until then, I will downloaded directly to IPAD and avoid using ITunes sync.

Aug 24, 2012 5:03 AM in response to Granny Teresa

Five months later and after the latest updates that I had hoped would fix my problems with iBooks sync, I still couldn't use myiPad 1, 16gb wifi to read books. This past Sunday, I was on Amazon and found a new IPad 2 64gb, wifi only for $575 and I was curious as to what version of IOS it had. After research and a phone call, I found out that it had version 5.0.1 . I made my purchase and received it on Wednesday. As soon as I powered and set it up, I got the "prompt" that a NEW UPDATE was available ... LIKE I'M GOING TO MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN !!!!

I was immediately able to sync books and PDF files to new iPad 2 and the bigger shock was that it was so fast and I could read them!!!

Yes, in a perfect world I would have preferred the new ipad3 but I look at from the aspect that I saved a few $$$ buying the older technology and it works great for what I want .... Internet and reading books.

I'm not a computer whiz, so I can't be sure if it was the update to 5.1 that caused my problems.

Will iBooks ever be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.