Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme and external hard drive

Hi. I currenty use a MacBook with an external hard drive to access all my files. The MacBook has a small HD so I keep everything external. I am considering buying the Airport Extreme with a view to attaching the external HD and accessing the files wirelessly from my Mac. I know this can be done but wanted to know whether anyone can comment on the speed of accessing information through the Airport Extreme in this way? What I don't want to do is slow things down too much...

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 1:45 PM

To give you some comparsions to work with, I used AJA System Test to take some data throughput tests between my Mac mini and: 1) An external USB HDD (Seagate 2 TB mounted in a drive caddy), 2) An external Firewire 800 HDD (WD 2 TB mounted in a drive caddy that supports Firewire 800), and 3) An AirPort Disk attached to my 4th generation 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn).

The following were the results:

• Test 1 (External USB HDD): 33.5 MBps (read) / 27.9 MBps (write)
  • Test 2 (External Firewire 800 HDD): 77.8 MBps (read) / 67.2 MBps (write)
  • Test 3 (AirPort Disk): 5.7 MBps (read) / 5.4 MBps (write)

The connection between the mini and the AEBSn is Gigabit Ethernet through two Ethernet switches. The AirPort Disk itself is a WD My Passport USB powered HDD. These were designed for portability, not necessarily performance. Using a higher performing HDD may provide better results, but you can be sure that you will not get any where near the same throughput performance as that when the HDD is externally connected to your Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Bobslay

To give you some comparsions to work with, I used AJA System Test to take some data throughput tests between my Mac mini and: 1) An external USB HDD (Seagate 2 TB mounted in a drive caddy), 2) An external Firewire 800 HDD (WD 2 TB mounted in a drive caddy that supports Firewire 800), and 3) An AirPort Disk attached to my 4th generation 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn).

The following were the results:

• Test 1 (External USB HDD): 33.5 MBps (read) / 27.9 MBps (write)
  • Test 2 (External Firewire 800 HDD): 77.8 MBps (read) / 67.2 MBps (write)
  • Test 3 (AirPort Disk): 5.7 MBps (read) / 5.4 MBps (write)

The connection between the mini and the AEBSn is Gigabit Ethernet through two Ethernet switches. The AirPort Disk itself is a WD My Passport USB powered HDD. These were designed for portability, not necessarily performance. Using a higher performing HDD may provide better results, but you can be sure that you will not get any where near the same throughput performance as that when the HDD is externally connected to your Mac.

Jun 2, 2012 7:36 PM in response to Bobslay

I was completely flummoxed by the horrible 1 MBps (read) performance from my AirPort Disk and tried everything (including a bunch of sysctl hints, staring at wireshark traces, connecting directly over Ethernet), but nothing helped.

But when I removed the cheap USB hub situated between the AirPort Extreme and the hard drive, reads improved to 4 MBps.

Airport Extreme and external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.