Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I remove the search conduit toolbar

How do I remove the search conduit toolbar from my Mac?

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 9:08 AM

11 replies

Jan 21, 2012 9:24 AM in response to lriczo

That toolbar/ct plugin seems to cause problems for all who install it!

Close Safari, then locate and delete the following files and it should be gone:

/Library/Application Support/Conduit

/Library/InputManagers/CTLoader

/Library/Receipts/ctloader.pkg

/Library/Receipts/<Toolbar name>.pkg

/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/CT2285220.bundle

/Users/<User name>/Library/Application Support/Conduit

where / is the root library on your Hard Disk.

If you are running Snow Leopard you should also look here:

Library/launchAgents/com.conduit.loader.agent.plist

Library/Application support/conduit plugins

Also, as mentioned by Gilli2000:

Library/Receipts - If you read it, it has information in it at the bottom referring extensively to "CT" and "community toolbar".

Maybe it is harmless, but trash those items anyway!

Note: Safari does not support any third-party toolbars except those supplied as an extension to Safari via the Extension Gallery.

Oct 14, 2012 2:35 AM in response to Gruset

If you are running Lion:

From the Finder Menu bar, select Go â–¹ Go to Folder, and in the box that opens write:

~/Library/Application Support/Conduit

Delete the second item if it is there.

Now select Go to Folder again and enter /Library

From the folder that opens, delete the following items if they are there (you may need your login password):

Application Support/Conduit

InputManagers/CTLoader

LaunchAgents/com.conduit.loader.agent.plist

ScriptingAdditions/ct_scripting.osax

then close the folder. Now select Go to Folder again and write: /Applications/Toolbars

Delete that item and close the Finder windows you opened. Log out then log back in, and you should be rid of it.

May 16, 2013 8:55 AM in response to lriczo

I could not find any of these files even after showing hidden files. However, the problem I was having was with Firefox. I did find some CT and conduit files/folders in /Users/<User name>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<strangename>.default/. Try removing those. If that doesn't help, go to this site: http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-conduit-redirect-virus.html

(When resetting about:config values in Mac, it looks like you have to go one by one and context-click (rightclick).)

how do I remove the search conduit toolbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.