Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro drives not listed in order in Disk Utility

i noticed in installing a fourth internal drive today that the drives are not listed in order, even though I do see a Bay listed at the bottom when i select on the drive. since the drives listed in Disk Utility show the manufacturer this can be a little confusing for me. Right now drives are listed from top to bottom as 3, 1, 2 4.

Is this an issue or is there a way to order them in the way they are in the computer 1 - 4?

thanks for any tips or advice on this. I tried a apple search under the heading here and didn't find much.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 12:11 PM

Which drive (bay) is your boot drive?

How are they listed in System Profiler?

And finally I don't believe there is any requirement that DU list them in bay order. I think it just gets them in the order or reverse order they appear on the internal device list, or maybe alphabetical order, or whatever. Mine are not listed in bay order either in DU. Indeed, bay 1, my boot ssd is listed last, just before it lists the dvd.

Who cares where they are on the list so long as they are all there! 😉

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2012 12:11 PM in response to hotwheels22

Which drive (bay) is your boot drive?

How are they listed in System Profiler?

And finally I don't believe there is any requirement that DU list them in bay order. I think it just gets them in the order or reverse order they appear on the internal device list, or maybe alphabetical order, or whatever. Mine are not listed in bay order either in DU. Indeed, bay 1, my boot ssd is listed last, just before it lists the dvd.

Who cares where they are on the list so long as they are all there! 😉

Jan 21, 2012 12:22 PM in response to X423424X

Thanks. Hi. I forgot there is System Profiler.

The first Bay is my Boot Drive. The problem for me here is that I am going to want to replace Bay 3 with a new drive and format it (I just added bay 4 and formatted it). If I make some kind of dumb mistake and don't check the teeny tiny writing at the bottom to verify that the drive I am formatting is BAY 3, I will erase everything on another drive. I mean, I know this sounds silly but the description of the drives here is total gibberish to me ("...WD 1002 FAEX...) and while I /have/ manually labeled disks 1 - 4 on the side of the case this still only shows me what the disk icon /underneath/ this description is showing me (actually I still don't understand why there is an icon and then a /sub/-icon but i guess that sub icon is the formatted portion of the disk or something. Anwyay -

So there under "Serial ATA" first to last drive listed with "BDC Name" (?) and "Bay Name":

disk 1, Bay 1

disk 2, Bay 2

disk 0, Bay 3

disk 3, Bay 4

This also seems sort of odd to have Bay 3 be called "disk 0"...but maybe the disk #'s are the /order/ they were installed and it starts with 0 and this is how Disk Utility shows you them in the order they were installed...? Seems sort of inconvenient and potentially dangerous ot me. No?

THANK YOU!

Jan 21, 2012 12:57 PM in response to hotwheels22

The problem for me here is that I am going to want to replace Bay 3 with a new drive and format it (I just added bay 4 and formatted it). If I make some kind of dumb mistake and don't check the teeny tiny writing at the bottom to verify that the drive I am formatting is BAY 3, I will erase everything on another drive.

I don't recall ever looking at the info at the bottom of the DU page in determining which drive I need to format. It should be obvious which drive needs formatting when you click on the Partition tab for a drive (not the volumes under the drive). It will either be partitioned or not and have the volume names you recognize or not.

Jan 21, 2012 2:29 PM in response to X423424X

hey man. thanks.

i am not following this.

if i go into disk utility i see four drives listed in no particular order. if i want to format one of these drives i see a icon at the top of each drive with some 'computer name' and then i see the same icon listed underneath it with a name that i gave it or in the case of BOOT CAMP drives it just says something dumb like "untitled" or "bootcamp" and this is what is shown when I Option-restart (not sure if there is a way to name these or not but I guess so when I format them in setting up the Boot Camp...).

Anyway, don't i have to CLICK on the "computer drive name" to get to the partition tab? and doesn't that mean that I would have to click on all four of my drives since they are not listed in any order?

Also, I am not seeing any identifiable info in Partition that tells me which drive I am reformatting that I wouldn't see in the list where all the other drives are located. I see a "Name" but this is the same name that I see in the "sub-icon" that is listed under the "computer name" of the drive...

You follow? I mean, I have the list of drives written on the side of my case here with the "Names' but I don't list the computer name and having these listed out of order seems like it would lead to confusion for a lot of folks - particularly since in System Profiler I have /disks/ 0 -3 but /drives/ 1 -4 with nothing listed in actual physical order as it is in my computer or on the side of my case...

what am i missing here?

Jan 21, 2012 2:53 PM in response to hotwheels22

Anyway, don't i have to CLICK on the "computer drive name" to get to the partition tab? and doesn't that mean that I would have to click on all four of my drives since they are not listed in any order?

. . .

You follow?

No not really!

Click on the disk drives, the items that are not indented. You will see the partition tab. It should be obvious from the display which disk you have, i.e., by the names of the partiton volume(s) which are the names indented under their respective drives.

Maybe it's too obvious to me but I really don't understand your problem here. If you guessed the wrong drive simply click on another until you find the drive that needs partitioning/formatting. You are trying to over analyze this.

Jan 21, 2012 3:09 PM in response to hotwheels22

For what its worth, I noticed the same thing.

Physical layout,

Bay 1 : Boot Drive

Bay 2 : RAID-1

Bay 3 : RAID-1

Bay 4 : Timemachine

That's how they're installed and how they are displayed in the system profiler, however in the disc utility one of the RAID slices is listed first, followed by the boot drive. Doubt it really means much of anything.

Jan 21, 2012 5:07 PM in response to X423424X

well i think the point is that the drives have names that are basically unrecognizable/unidentifiable. not only can i not tell which number is running which OS - i can't even tell what order the order is in this list because it is not /ordered/. i was hoping i could drag the drive in bay 1 to the first slot and the drive in bay 2 to the second slot down and so on.

this way when i go to repartition the drive in my bay 3, i don't have to hunt around for the partition volume which in this case is named "untitled".

if there is no order in this list, I have to rely upon the tiny text at the bottom on the drive listed /fourth/ that says "bay 3" and a disk name that is "untitled".

it just seems like it would be much more convenient to have these listed in the order that they are physically /in/ the computer, otherwise if you have 4 - 1 TB drives in there it seems like it is easy to make a mistake.

IMHO.

Jan 21, 2012 7:55 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

i noticed in installing a fourth internal drive today that the drives are not listed in order, even though I do see a Bay listed at the bottom when i select on the drive. since the drives listed in Disk Utility show the manufacturer this can be a little confusing for me. Right now drives are listed from top to bottom as 3, 1, 2 4.

Is this an issue or is there a way to order them in the way they are in the computer 1 - 4?...

My 3 drives don't appear in bay sequence in Disk Utility either, and what's more, they don't appear in the same sequence each time I run DU. So one solution is to give names to the partitions in each drive which are recognizably associated with the HD they're on. For example, my WD boot drive has the boot partition named Macintosh HD. My Seagate Barracuda XT from a GoFlex external has the boot partition backed up as "Macintosh HD S" and the other partitions on the Seagate drive all end with the S suffix. Names also recognizably differ on the third drive.

A second method of ID in DU is to right click on a partition of the HD of interest and choose Reveal in Finder so you can actually see it on your desktop. Of course, there's also the Connection ID: "Bay #" which shows when the HD is selected. With those methods of identification, it's unlikely you'll pick the wrong one.

Jan 23, 2012 4:36 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Thanks FatMac.

Err. For some reason I get tripped up with this stuff. Can I ask you what the difference is again with the One Drive shown in DU and then the other one (or two in case of partitioning it in two)? One is somehow the drive and the ones under are somehow the read/writeable partitions or something?

I mean, i can't quite follow your answer b/c i am not exactly sure what/how I am naming things.

i guess the deal is that i actually name the drive /under/ the one listed at the top which always has some weird computer name associated with it? And then /these/ names (the ones that I can name) are the ones that show up when I run an Option Restart which shows the names of my bootable drives is that right?

also - i think you are saying that you name your Clone the same thing as what it is cloning is that right? I mean, I am sort of doing the exact opposite over here so I know which drive is my EXTERNAL.

Perhaps if you can straighten this out for me I can make sure I knwo what i have here. Sort of tricky to get this straight when they are not even listed in order in DU (at least for the noob).

THANKS

Jan 23, 2012 5:06 PM in response to hotwheels22

One is somehow the drive and the ones under are somehow the read/writeable partitions or something?

The outdented items listed in DU are the physical drives themselves. What's being shown is how the drive identifies itself to the system (I assume from some firmware on the drive's controller board inside the drive). The indented names under the drive name are the volume names you created when you formatted and partitioned that particular drive. So if you partition a physical drive with three volumes you will see three volume names (the ones you assigned to those partitions) listed under (indented) that drive.

Jan 23, 2012 6:30 PM in response to X423424X

god. thank you!

so, if i am following here I have to name the /volume/ when i partition the /drive/. and i see in re-reading that FatMac was using an "S" suffix to identify his MacIntosh HD Clone on the Seagate drive, if I am following him correctly.

I think I am doing basically the same thing here - for instance the fourth drive I just put in is named "1 TB drive 1 CLONE" - but with the exception that my /boot camp/ drives can't be named from what I was told? And that the "MacIntosh HD" is the default for my Snow Leopard partition is that right?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15285654/Screen%20shot%202012-01-20%20at%2005.51.57%20PM .png

I mean I find it very confusing to have my Boot Drive listed /third/ here when it is drive bay 1. Still seems to me like it would be easy to make a mistake. Especially since most of the drives are going to be 1 TB and since my Boot Camp drives are named "BOOTCAMP" and "untitled" both in DU and in the OPTION Restart boot prompt...

Anyway, I have /numbered/ the Dymo Labels on the side of my Mac Pro that give the volume names and I guess I will just check the CONNECTION ID BAY # to make sure when reformatting I have the right drive is that right?

Just sort of repeating here in case I am missing something that would make this easier.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15285654/Screen%20shot%202012-01-20%20at%2005.51.57%20PM .png

THANKS

Jan 23, 2012 6:43 PM in response to hotwheels22

All I can say is name the volumes (partitions) anything you want that convenient to you. I don't name my volumes as a function of what disk they are on or bay they are in. I name them as a function of their intended use. The only time I would care what bay the drive is in is when I would have to replace that drive should that ever happen (knock on wood, it hasn't).

Jan 23, 2012 7:59 PM in response to hotwheels22

...so, if i am following here I have to name the /volume/ when i partition the /drive/. and i see in re-reading that FatMac was using an "S" suffix to identify his MacIntosh HD Clone on the Seagate drive, if I am following him correctly.

I think I am doing basically the same thing here - for instance the fourth drive I just put in is named "1 TB drive 1 CLONE" - but with the exception that my /boot camp/ drives can't be named from what I was told? And that the "MacIntosh HD" is the default for my Snow Leopard partition is that right?...

You're following me correctly.🙂 The basic idea is to be able to use the name you've assigned to identify the particular partition for it's purpose and the physical hard disk that it's on by it's naming convention (e.g., "S" for the Seagate). Remember that they appear not only in Disk Utility but also on the desktop and if you have three clones of your Macintosh HD boot drive, there'll be four with that name on the desktop and you'll need to be able to tell which the actual boot partition is. So giving unique names helps to keep things straight. "Macintosh HD" is the default name Apple gives to the boot partition but you can change it to pretty much whatever you want. Now that 3 and 4TB hard disks are available, having four or more partitions on each physical Hard Disk is a real possibility, and with 4 bays on the Mac Pro, that's quite a bunch of partitions to keep track of. Consider also that you can carry this approach to any external drives you're using.

When you clone a partition, the original name gets carried over, but you can change that once the cloning is finished. Moreover, on the desktop, you can give colors to the label for each drive (actually partition) shown on the desktop, and if you give the same color to each partition on a particular hard disk, it's an additional aid to keeping things straight. BTW, you'll notice that if you clone a color-coded drive, the color will be carried over too, so you'd need to change it to the signature color of the hard disk.

I don't think you can mess with the boot camp partitions but I've never used them, preferring to virtuallize Windows and Linux using VMWare Fusion.

Jan 23, 2012 8:09 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

man, i am really grateful for the help on this list.

so, i am running paralells on the snow leopard boot drive. the xp boot camp partition (bay 1!) was my original foray to the mac, then the snow leopard drive (bay 3!) and I also installed a win 7 boot camp (bay 2) in case i need to run something natively.

anyway, how do I read up on this coloring? very interested in this.

thanks.

- jon

mac pro drives not listed in order in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.