Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is YouTube very slow on my iPad?

Hi def videos just doesn't load quick enough to watch

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 12:04 PM

You are dependany on system speeds. Wifi or 3 g? If 3 g, give up. It will be very hard to get acceptable speeds. If wifi, see if you can get more speed from your isp. There is an app called speed test in the store that will give you an easy way to measure your system speed.

13 replies

Jan 21, 2012 12:17 PM in response to Tommyvercetti

And more memory will give it a bigger buffer space. That makes some sense. If you are del, then you are kind of right on the edge of speed needed for happy streaming. There is no easy or available workaround that i know of.

You might make sure no other apps or programs are suing your net connection at the same time, sucking some ofmthe bamdwidth, but i dont think there is a lot of relief there.

If you pause it early, does it continue to load? Sort of a manual buffer approach?

Jan 21, 2012 12:45 PM in response to Tommyvercetti

Your Internet connection is poor. If you are on wifi, contact your service provider to get you a faster plan. My connection is very slow too. What I did to speed it up a little is either going to the YouTube sire in safari and load a lower quality video, or change your DNS settings. Go to settings, wifi, and hit the blue arrow with your wifi network. Delete the number it gives you for DNS, and replace that with 208.67.222.222

Hope is helps like it did for me!

Apr 9, 2012 10:35 AM in response to Tommyvercetti

I think the reason is iPad native YouTube app will load the highest resolution video available. Given iPad limited memory, the video eventually consumes all the available memory and thus it loads getting slower and slower and eventually stop loading.

There are various YouTube related apps in app store you can try out, such as Watch Later, as the name suggest, a feature iPad native YouTube app is missing. It loads tremendously fast, with a noticeable lower quality video. But hey, I am only using iPad 2. Why do I want HD video for? If I wanna watch HD video I might as well watch it on big screen. A lower resolution YouTube video will do good. Apple should have allow user to choose which video resolution to watch. That shood solve the problem.

Why is YouTube very slow on my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.