Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Using the Filter HUD to Search for Referenced Files" (and "Locate Referenced Files")

I am trying to follow the Help Documentation item "Using the Filter HUD to Search for Referenced Master" (not sure if there is a way to post a URL to this) and I am not seeing what it is telling me to do.

I am going to Edit > Find and it is telling me to "Click the Filter HUD button beside the search field in the Browser". Is this referring to a browser in the Aperture UI or is this in the Filter HUD display? I am not finding this.

Also, it saying that in the Filter HUD I should "choose File Status from the Add Filter pop-up menu, and select the 'File Status' checkbox." and I am not seeing this either. Does anyone know where this is at?

Lastly, I see that there is a command called File > Locate Referenced Files and when I run this I get a "No Referenced Files in the /current/ selection. I have realized that I don't quite understand whether I am running this search for a specific Project and/or whether I have to make a specific selection in the left hand pane when I run a FILTER HUD or whether this automatically defaults to search the whole database. Does it matter what I have selected in the current Browser View when I run either of these commands?

Thanks for any help in my getting this working better for me.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 12:27 PM

hotwheels 22 wrote:

I am trying to follow the Help Documentation item "Using the Filter HUD to Search for Referenced Master" (not sure if there is a way to post a URL to this) and I am not seeing what it is telling me to do. ➕1

I am going to Edit > Find and it is telling me to "Click the Filter HUD button beside the search field in the Browser". Is this referring to a browser in the Aperture UI or is this in the Filter HUD display? I am not finding this. ➕2

Also, it saying that in the Filter HUD I should "choose File Status from the Add Filter pop-up menu, and select the 'File Status' checkbox." and I am not seeing this either. Does anyone know where this is at? ➕3

Lastly, I see that there is a command called File > Locate Referenced Files and when I run this I get a "No Referenced Files in the /current/ selection. I have realized that I don't quite understand whether I am running this search for a specific Project and/or whether I have to make a specific selection {➕4} in the left hand pane {➕5} when I run a FILTER HUD or whether this automatically defaults to search the whole database. Does it matter what I have selected in the current Browser View when I run {➕6} either of these commands? ➕7

➕1. Just copy and paste the URL from the on-line User Manual. Very helpful. Are you on this page?

➕2. From the above-linked page:

Show the Filter HUD by doing one of the following:

• Choose Edit > Find (or press Command-F).
  • Click the Filter HUD button beside the search field in the Browser.

The instructions specify ONE of the following. Your question indicates to me that you are trying to do both.

➕3. The User Manual has used the wrong term here. It should say "Choose 'File Status' from the 'Add RULE' pop-up menu."

➕4. The command -- like all commands? -- works on the currently selected Images. On the same page in the User Manual it says:

You can select a group of images in the Browser and Aperture can show a list of the referenced images within the selection, including information about where the masters are located. {Emphasis mine.}

➕5. The Aperture workspace is highly configurable. I don't know what you mean by "the left-hand pane". Of what?

➕6. Yes. Of course it matters. At some point in the 80's when the GUI became standard computers standardized on the "Noun→Verb" syntax: Select object(s), select command(s).

➕7. Not sure what the second command to which your refer is.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2012 12:27 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

I am trying to follow the Help Documentation item "Using the Filter HUD to Search for Referenced Master" (not sure if there is a way to post a URL to this) and I am not seeing what it is telling me to do. ➕1

I am going to Edit > Find and it is telling me to "Click the Filter HUD button beside the search field in the Browser". Is this referring to a browser in the Aperture UI or is this in the Filter HUD display? I am not finding this. ➕2

Also, it saying that in the Filter HUD I should "choose File Status from the Add Filter pop-up menu, and select the 'File Status' checkbox." and I am not seeing this either. Does anyone know where this is at? ➕3

Lastly, I see that there is a command called File > Locate Referenced Files and when I run this I get a "No Referenced Files in the /current/ selection. I have realized that I don't quite understand whether I am running this search for a specific Project and/or whether I have to make a specific selection {➕4} in the left hand pane {➕5} when I run a FILTER HUD or whether this automatically defaults to search the whole database. Does it matter what I have selected in the current Browser View when I run {➕6} either of these commands? ➕7

➕1. Just copy and paste the URL from the on-line User Manual. Very helpful. Are you on this page?

➕2. From the above-linked page:

Show the Filter HUD by doing one of the following:

• Choose Edit > Find (or press Command-F).
  • Click the Filter HUD button beside the search field in the Browser.

The instructions specify ONE of the following. Your question indicates to me that you are trying to do both.

➕3. The User Manual has used the wrong term here. It should say "Choose 'File Status' from the 'Add RULE' pop-up menu."

➕4. The command -- like all commands? -- works on the currently selected Images. On the same page in the User Manual it says:

You can select a group of images in the Browser and Aperture can show a list of the referenced images within the selection, including information about where the masters are located. {Emphasis mine.}

➕5. The Aperture workspace is highly configurable. I don't know what you mean by "the left-hand pane". Of what?

➕6. Yes. Of course it matters. At some point in the 80's when the GUI became standard computers standardized on the "Noun→Verb" syntax: Select object(s), select command(s).

➕7. Not sure what the second command to which your refer is.

Jan 21, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hi Kirby.

Thanks.

Add Rule works. Thanks very much.

Two quick things and I will plunge back in over here.

Is there a difference between my going to the Help pulldown and entering a SEARCH TERM in the dialog (such as "filters" or whatever) and going to the Aperture Help PULLDOWN and going to the URL for the "online" help you linked to? This mac interface is a little new to me and I realized I don't really understand when the "Help" pulldown in Softare specific or for the Mac OS in general or even when it is linked to some file that installed with the software versus say being an online Help directory.

For instance, the URL you link to provides all the information in one page whereas over here when I try and find it in the help menu this is in discrete pieces and it is printed out in discrete pieces...

Also, when I say the "Left Hand Pane" I guess I mean the Library Tab (sorry). The question I meant to ask is that I am familiar with Spotlight and Finder Search (sort of) but I am getting confused in Aperture as to whether I am searching JUST the Project I am in and when i am searching the whole database? Is there a way to search the whole database? I thought at one point that if I click on an Album or on a Folder with no Project in it that I don't get the View > Find menu option but I see now that I /am/ getting it but I /don't/ get this FIND option when I have Library > Projects selected. And /this/ would be the way I would think to search the whole database but it does not give me this option...

Then I also see that trying to run a File > Locate Referenced Masters behaves in the same way and I can't tell if I /can't/ Search or Filter the whole database with these tools or if I am just misunderstaning how to do this.

THANKS

"Using the Filter HUD to Search for Referenced Files" (and "Locate Referenced Files")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.