Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine transfer of TM files

I want to transfer my time machine (HD#1) backups to a new external hard drive (HD#2) by simply dragging the folder from #1 to #2, I get "the volume has the wrong case sensitivity for backup" ( I have already transfered a couple of files to #2 by this method). How to I put all my old backups to my new drive?

Thanks,

GH

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 1:27 PM

3 replies

Jan 21, 2012 1:35 PM in response to GH

No! No! Don't use drag & drop.

Having just done that what I found best was to use the Restore function of Disk Utility to move the backup database.

It sounds like you have the new disk improperly formatted. It should be HFS+ (journalled) with a GUID partion map. If you already started doing this with drag & drop, I would suggest that you reformat to get rid of all of that stuff.

Allan

Jan 21, 2012 2:00 PM in response to GH

I assume, new drive is properly formated as Journaled HFS with GUID partition table. If so, the best way to do this i to copy whole TM folder structure using sudo in terminal, but if you're not familiar with OSX terminal try to use Disk Utility from you Tools.

1. First turn off your Time Machine,

2. unmount your current TM disk (HD#1), and plug it in, so the system could recognize it as regular drive,

3. open Disk Utility from you Tools, there is Recovery tab (the last one),

4. there you should drag your original TM (HD#1) partition to Source volume box and your new disk(HD#2) partition to Destination box.

5. check "Wipe destination disk",

6. click Recover and wait some time,

7. once it’s done, unplug the old drive and turn Time Machine back on

Other option is to use 3rd party software for disk copying, for example Carbon Copy Cloner.

time machine transfer of TM files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.