Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3x crash service down

Hi!

Using Compressor 4.0.1. Trying to compress MPG file to Prores. About halfway through, compression fails and I get «3x crash service down» as an error. Any tips?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 2:21 PM

1 reply

Jan 22, 2012 12:25 AM in response to pblfmaxandre

Hi pblmaxandre, yeah... the 3x error will be recorded the Apple Qmaster logs at:

~/Library/Application Support/Apple Qmaster/Logs

You'll have something similar to these log files:

• contentcontroller:com.apple.qmaster.contentagent.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-1.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-5.log
  • jobcontroller:com.apple.compressor.cluster.admin.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-10.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-6.log
  • jobcontroller:com.apple.qmaster.cluster.admin.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-11.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-7.log
  • qmasterd.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-12.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-8.log
  • requestprocessor:com.apple.compressor.contentcontroller.log servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-2.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-9.log
  • requestprocessor:com.apple.qmaster.contentcontroller.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-3.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoder.stomp.log
  • servicecontroller:com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-4.log

The actual 3X error most likely will be from one of the instances from the cluster if you utilised segmented transcoding (segment jobs). I'm guessing based on what I have experienced over the years. Some things to look for for the 3x error cluster instance failure:

1. look at the jobcontroller:com.apple.qmaster.cluster.admin.log - see if there an overall indication error message. This will point you to the instance that failed with the 3x error
  2. if you can find any, look at all the QMASTER logs prefixed with servicecontroller.com.apple.stomp.transcoderx-nn.log The error will be in there too!
  3. the instance may have filed because the NFS mount form another cluster (services node) may have gone.... re you using service nodes?
  4. 3x also may be caused by a programme exception due to a failed memory request (a malloc error.. got any of these?) - simply reduce the real memory usage by stopping some other apps and MAYBE (but not always) reducing the number of compressor instances for QMASTER
  5. can be caused by a NETWORK error. Believe it or not! even on a single Quickcluster system. Try STOPPING the network (disable the WIFI and the ethernet etc).. NO networks.. yep!.. sometimes the cluster works great.. I found this in earlier versions of compressor V3.0 etc.
  6. if you have COPY SOURCE TO CLUSTER AD NEEDED or similar COPY options in the Compressor.app | Preferences, then check the log for the contentController to see that all the pre flight source was copied (I dont use this myself as it slows the workflow up). - refer contentcontroller:com.apple.qmaster.contentagent.log . worth a look anyway
  7. check the console.app "All Messages" for anything else such as SNAP dumps under user diagnotics. Look for a thread that is NOT Thread 0... you might get some insight into what was happening and what failed.
  8. recently under Compressor.app V4 (the Lion 10.7 quicktime components), various posters have found that DISABLING PERIAN QT components may assist. Yes I have done this occasionally when i get desperate and can't see why some thing failed..... may be worth a try when u have run out of ideas!
  9. also consider the source input might be flawed at a particular point. check to see that the 3x error occurs CONSISTENTLY at the same TCR range. This will be most apparent when using segmented transcoding. If so its possible that THAT PART of the source clip is buggered. You can test this simply by asking compressor.app to only transcode that range. Use the Compressor.app PREVIEW windo and set the IN/OUT range before submission. ALso determine if this 3x error occurs EARLY in the transcoding process rather tan really late. Early means the source is possible corrupt in terms of what is expected by COmpressor passes. If you are performing multi-pass and it occurs later , thenthe source might be ok.. look for other reasons. Once you have found that the 3x error is consistently at the same range, then try and perform a simple QT EXPORT with QT 7 player and see if you get a successful export. Try varyations until you are convinced otherwise that yoursource material being fed to compressor.app is ok.
  10. if sneding from FCPX, then pay closer attention to step 9. various posters are experiencing other quicktime errors relating to what FCPX has passed to sompressor

OK there's soem ideas to start with. The 3X error is most likley related to the above ideas that involve an unavaialble resource....

Post your results so that they may help others.

warwick

Hong Kong

3x crash service down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.