Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Question

I have a iMac desktop running OS 10.6.8, and a PC running Windows 7. How do I network them together? Thx

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 3:50 PM

5 replies

Jan 21, 2012 7:15 PM in response to Camelot

Thanks much for the reply.

I have a printer conneted to the iMac. The iMac and the PC are hooked to the internet via wireless. We need to be able to wirelessly share the printer and files between the iMac and the PC. I have tried several suggestions for doing this, but none work for me. I have the latest version of OS 10.6.8 on the iMac and Windows 7 on the PC.

Jan 21, 2012 8:55 PM in response to ABQ_AW

Wow, that's a completely different question. It has nothing to do with networking the two machines (they are already networked together over the wireless network), and everything to do with printer sharing.

Without knowing what you've tried it's hard to know where to start - I don't want to reiterate things you've already tried, but in the absense of knowing any better, that's what I'll have to do.

Unfortunately, since Windows 7 doesn't support Bonjour (the standard mechanism used to locate services on a network), the Windows machine won't automatically find the shared printer and configure itself. You'll have to do most of the heavy lifting.

You'll need to find the printer's shared resource name and configure your Windows 7 machine to print to this as a 'local printer' (I have never understood Windows' defintion of 'local' vs. 'network' printers - to me this is the definition of a network printer but it has to be setup as 'local'. hmmmm...).

Fortunately it's all been done before and others have documented the process. Try this link to see if it covers your needs.

Jan 22, 2012 4:09 AM in response to ABQ_AW

re "network host is busy..." when printing

i was baffled. new Brother 2270 printer would ONLY print from the machine I installed all the stuff from - a MacBook Pro 10.6.8. Installed, uninstalled, reinstalled repeatedly. no go.

Using Network Utility I tried to ping the printer - nothing. Realized that some of the macs in my network were using the "Guest Network" ny default, not the primary network (Airport Extreme).

Changing connection to the actual wireless network and voila - all solved.

Network Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.