Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No OGG support why?

Bottom line Apple. You want new user to migrate? Do you truly desire this to be an easy music expereince? Then get on the ball and support the formats out there for import. I should'nt have to download and possibly pay for third party apps to convert a free file format to something your software will accept. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me want to look at a different product and content provider because I know you guys are a heck of a lot smarter than this and it seems at times you refuse to apply the intelligence.

Please quit dragging your feet, and creating excuses. If you can deal with Mircorsoft to convert wma's and wmv's then I'd love to know why you can't do the same for ogg.

PC, Windows Vista, n/a

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 1:08 PM

"...and yet only after the event do you moan about it."

Yes because my clairevoyant powers failed me before the event. Assuming that a multibillion dollar company who writes world class software in most respects would include as many formats as possible to get people over to their platform was a BIG MISTAKE.

"You've made an assumption that "most of what is sent to Apple goes unheard." How doyou know?"

Obviously it has gone unheard since the lack of format support remains, and the web is riddle with people asking why. Not an assumption just fact.

"Oh, but wait! You've found a solution to your probelm - and you're still not happy."

Of course I'm still not happy, I'm still left with a round about means when I should'nt have too.

"Sigh"

You are absoulutely right "Sigh", because one doesn't dare say anything negative about Apple with people like you who'll defend even when they are wrong. Problem with fanboys on any platform. Objectivity goes out the window. And no need to reply, If you do it will be for your own vanity and desire for "likes" as I won't be back to these forums, I'm better off finding the information in an environment where actuall help is given, and problems can be pointed out without reprecussions. I mistook "Apple Support Communities > iTunes > iTunes for Windows" as such a place. Thanks for your time.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2012 1:08 PM in response to the fiend

"...and yet only after the event do you moan about it."

Yes because my clairevoyant powers failed me before the event. Assuming that a multibillion dollar company who writes world class software in most respects would include as many formats as possible to get people over to their platform was a BIG MISTAKE.

"You've made an assumption that "most of what is sent to Apple goes unheard." How doyou know?"

Obviously it has gone unheard since the lack of format support remains, and the web is riddle with people asking why. Not an assumption just fact.

"Oh, but wait! You've found a solution to your probelm - and you're still not happy."

Of course I'm still not happy, I'm still left with a round about means when I should'nt have too.

"Sigh"

You are absoulutely right "Sigh", because one doesn't dare say anything negative about Apple with people like you who'll defend even when they are wrong. Problem with fanboys on any platform. Objectivity goes out the window. And no need to reply, If you do it will be for your own vanity and desire for "likes" as I won't be back to these forums, I'm better off finding the information in an environment where actuall help is given, and problems can be pointed out without reprecussions. I mistook "Apple Support Communities > iTunes > iTunes for Windows" as such a place. Thanks for your time.

Jan 21, 2012 7:30 PM in response to Techguy2050

Thanks Techguy, I found a solution a couple hours ago. I found a third party app to convert the files. However its tedious as I have several albums encoded in this format. My beef is this. Apple wants to be the hub of music on the computer and on their devices. However they glance over obvious formats that would assist in this endeavor. I'm frustrated because all I see are endless questions and request reagarding this feature. I've sent questions in with no response and the rest of the web looks much like my inbox; void of answers from Apple.

Apr 21, 2017 5:03 AM in response to cobaltblue1975

Actually Apple do not and never have supported importing WMV files but do support importing WMA files in that iTunes for Windows will automatically convert unprotected WMA files so they can be added to iTunes.

This https://sourceforge.net/projects/bonkenc/ appears to be a free conversion tool that supports OGG and runs on Windows.

It should be noted that as far as I am aware Windows Media Player also does not support OGG as standard. Yes admittedly unlike iTunes you can add a third-party codec i.e. a DirectShow filter which lets WMP use OGG files without needing to convert them but one can equally argue Microsoft themselves are failing to support this format.

There are far, far too many audio and video formats around and most of them are a waste of space and time. On top of that there are even more different audio and video codecs. Remember OGG is a container not a codec.

Jan 21, 2012 9:25 PM in response to cobaltblue1975

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me want to look at a different product and content provider

You must already be dealing with another content provider, since you could not have gotten your OGG files from Apple.

iTunes does not natively play OGG files. You can use a 3rd party plug-in from Xiph. However, if native OGG support is important to you, select a player other than iTunes.

Jan 21, 2012 11:32 PM in response to ed2345

"iTunes does not natively play OGG files"

Thanks very helpful.

The point is I'm trying to centralize everything with iTunes. It isn't important that the files remain OGG format. I would just appreciate not having to use third party software to run a conversion on half my database just to get it into itunes permanently without "Third party plugins" Apple isn't making that easy. Honestly you are right. I don't "Need" Apple, I could choose someone else. But I've invested money and time in Apple. It's not like people are asking Apple to find the Higgs Bosson here. Just to support more audio formats for import and conversion.

And your comment somewhat implies that everyone starts out with formats that are compatible with Apple. That isn't the case.

Jan 22, 2012 2:50 AM in response to cobaltblue1975

cobaltblue1975 wrote:

And your comment somewhat implies that everyone starts out with formats that are compatible with Apple. That isn't the case.

The format that is fully comaptible with all players is MP3. Hence - MP3 players is the generic term. Perhaps you should have chosen MP3s instead.

cobaltblue1975 wrote:

But I've invested money and time in Apple.

...and yet only after the event do you moan about it.

You've made an assumption that "most of what is sent to Apple goes unheard." How do you know?

Apple have a suggestion process, so presumably, they want suggestions. That does not mean however, that every suggestion is implemented. Apple may well have considered this problem, although we are not allowed (on this Apple-owned forum) to speculate or discuss the whys and wherefores of Apple policy, so the fact that iTunes doesn't have the facitily you want ends there. If you don't like it, then feel free to buy something else and sell your iPod.

Oh, but wait! You've found a solution to your probelm - and you're still not happy.

Sigh!

No OGG support why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.