Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i set up a account at mac.com

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 4:51 PM

9 replies

Jan 22, 2012 6:37 AM in response to freeze23

Hi,

Go Here for an @Mac.com registration

This sort of "Hard Links" an email ID you supply to the @mac.com name you create.

It cannot be an Email already linked in some way to An Apple ID you already have.

For iChat purposes (logging in to the Aim Servers) the password must not exceed 16 characters.

You will need to set up some Security Question answers as well.

User uploaded file
2:37 PM Sunday; January 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Aug 21, 2012 2:09 PM in response to piratx

Hi,

I posted a Link to the page that creates @mac.com names

In what way does it not work ?

It's a web page independent of Lion.

However there is no longer a Button that says Get An iChat Account as there was in iChat 5 and 4

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

This is why http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4058

iChat 6 also changes the Drop down for adding AIM valid accounts

It just list AIM and you can type an @Mac.com name in Full (As you would for any email registered at AIM)

The same applies to iCloud @me.com names

User uploaded file
10:09 PM Tuesday; August 21, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 21, 2012 2:17 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

The form doesn't work, it doesn't matter which OS X are you running or anything. I've talk with the guys on Apple Support and Apple Care too, they said to try and make new @mac.com account won't work anymore.

The big problem for me the last two days is that my @mac.com account won't login with Messages/iChat (10.6.x) or anything else AIM client, Adium etc.

Did you tried to make a new account with the form on that address? Myself I have tried more than 50 times from many different Macs for friends or clients.. could make it work. If you have found a way to make it work please let me know! 🙂

Aug 21, 2012 3:34 PM in response to piratx

HI,

I had not realised that the page is actually a redirect from what was the @Mac.com registration page.

I had though just the wording has been changed.

I tried filling it is and it is as you say (You have to use an email straight away rather than choose an prefix (Username) for an @Mac.com account then list an email Later)

My apologies for any confusion.

User uploaded file
11:34 PM Tuesday; August 21, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 21, 2012 3:49 PM in response to piratx

Hi,

Currently on my Mountain Lion iMac I can login @Me.com names and @mac.com names with no issue.

https://settings.aim.com/

This page allows yo to login @mac.com names as they are not double checked

iCLoud @Me.com names in IChat 6 or Messages do a dual login to AIM AND me.com

This allows the AIM servers to "See" the password with this extra level of security (Compared to ICht 5 and earlier)

However it does mean you can't check names at rhe AIM settings page.

What the AIM setting page may tell you is if AIM have suspended the Account for "Unusual Activity"

This is solved for AIM accounts themselves by a password change (the presumption being only the person who owned the account can do that).

It does not work for @mac.com accounts as the AIM server can't register that it has been changed.

Yoiu then have to go to the Suspended Account page and use the TOSGeneral email address

They can be a bit thick with this bit as some AIM employees don't seem to realise they have agreements with Apple and some US based ISPs to use non AIM registered Email type looking IDs as Valid AIM Names and that THEY have to change the flagging on the Account.

User uploaded file
11:49 PM Tuesday; August 21, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 22, 2012 12:02 PM in response to piratx

HI,

What does the AIM Settings page I linked to above say ?

This is the place that I understand gives the clearest reasons why an Account, be it AIM or an Apple ID that is valid as s Screen Name as well, can be seen.

User uploaded file
8:01 PM Wednesday; August 22, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.