Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I back up an iPhone that has never been synced?

My wife's phone is not paired with any computer.

How can I back it up so that she does not lose any content and so that she can restore the content when she gets a new iPhone?

12-core Mac Pro 2.93 GHz, 24GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12TB Storage, 30" Screen, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Sony Blu-Ray burner, Canon 5D MkII, CS5, FCPS, Aperture, Maya

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 6:54 PM

Steve,

If her iPhone has 4.0 software, you'll need to manually back up using iTunes on a computer. I'd start by disabling automatic syncing in iTunes on the computer. You can do this by going to iTunes preferences, clicking "Devices", and selecting "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically". If this is the first time she's plugged the iPhone into the computer, you'll see a screen in iTunes that prompts her to register her device. There should be an option to "Register Later". Once completed you can right-click the name of her iPhone seen on the left-hand side of iTunes and select "Backup". Once your wife gets a new iPhone you can restore it from the backup just created.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2012 6:54 PM in response to Steve Dorsey

Steve,

If her iPhone has 4.0 software, you'll need to manually back up using iTunes on a computer. I'd start by disabling automatic syncing in iTunes on the computer. You can do this by going to iTunes preferences, clicking "Devices", and selecting "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically". If this is the first time she's plugged the iPhone into the computer, you'll see a screen in iTunes that prompts her to register her device. There should be an option to "Register Later". Once completed you can right-click the name of her iPhone seen on the left-hand side of iTunes and select "Backup". Once your wife gets a new iPhone you can restore it from the backup just created.

how do I back up an iPhone that has never been synced?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.