Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fully consolidate library

Hi. I have consolidated my library, as follows:

1. Select "Photos" in LIBRARY.
  2. Click in thumbnail area and Select All.
  3. File / Consolidate Masters...
  4. Move Files / OK [In an earlier consolidation I may have chosen Copy Files]

When I do that again, I received "The selection doesn’t have any referenced files." So far, so good.

But when I create a vault, I receive the following message:

New Vault Contents

6866 managed files will be included in this vault.

1645 referenced files will not be included. These need to be backed up separately.

Vaults provide automated backup of all master files stored inside your Aperture library. Master files for referenced images are stored elsewhere, and are not backed up in vaults.

Adjustments, ratings, and other metadata are included for all images, regardless of file location.

How do I consolidate those 1,645 referenced files? This worries me immensely as due to a separate problem, not solvable by AppleCare today, I am unable to restore an aplibrary using Time Machine.

Mac OS X (10.6.8), iOS 5 and all apps up-to-date

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 8:01 PM

7 replies

Jan 21, 2012 11:36 PM in response to Richard Tench

When you "selected all" in the "Photos" section are you sure you didn't have a filter set in the search field (top right of the browser window)? For example it may have been only showing photo's that you had rated when you did the consolidation, so not all photos were selected.

Make sure this box says "Show All" then add a new filter to show only referenced files. Do this by opening the filter HUD (next to the search field box top right of the browser) and select "Add Rule", choose "File Status" then set this to "referenced". This will hopefully give you your 1645 files that you can then select and consolidate.

I have a smart folder of all photo's that shows all the referenced images in my library, it makes checking things like this easy and quick.

Jan 21, 2012 11:42 PM in response to Richard Tench

Hello Richard,

Make sure that no filters are set in the search fields (Browser, Inspector) - the searches should show: "all items" or "showing all".

Then create a smart album to show all referenced images:

File -> New -> Smart album

Add a rule: File status is "Referenced"

If any files are shown in the album, consolidate them by selecting only those images from the smart album.

Do a second search with a rule: File Status is "online" or File satus is "Missing", to find stray masters that still are not accounted for.

Regards

Léonie

User uploaded file

Jan 22, 2012 9:28 AM in response to Richard Tench

I discovered last night that immediately after clicking on Photos in LIBRARY, the command changes to "Consolidate Masters for Library...". I used that command and now I think I'm fully consolidated. (As soon as I click in the thumbnails area, the command changes to "Consolidate Masters...".

I believe from googling that the Consolidate Masters for Library might only be relevant to those of us that migrated from iPhoto.

I am now free of referenced masters!

How to fully consolidate library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.