Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone case with a Magnetic Closure... Good or bad?

I am planning to buy a folding type case for my iPhone 4s that has a Magnetic closure...Is it safe to use it???will it harm my phone in any way??Please help..

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 1:59 PM

This answer is very wrong.

I have had nothing but problems with the iPhone when a magnetic case was on. I use the compass to set my Satellite Dish when I am traveling. It took me a month to figure out why the commas did not move. Which makes me an idiot not thinking a Magnet would effect a compass. :-) Then I started thinking about many other programs that used internal sensors that no longer functioned. Flight24 which is an airplane taking program had stopped working during this time and I just stoped using it. (Also the Magnet.) Many other programs like several Virtual Reality program stoped working. Not worth giving up the functionality for a magnetic case.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2017 1:59 PM in response to Allan Eckert

This answer is very wrong.

I have had nothing but problems with the iPhone when a magnetic case was on. I use the compass to set my Satellite Dish when I am traveling. It took me a month to figure out why the commas did not move. Which makes me an idiot not thinking a Magnet would effect a compass. :-) Then I started thinking about many other programs that used internal sensors that no longer functioned. Flight24 which is an airplane taking program had stopped working during this time and I just stoped using it. (Also the Magnet.) Many other programs like several Virtual Reality program stoped working. Not worth giving up the functionality for a magnetic case.

Jan 23, 2012 1:27 AM in response to Asto02

You never stated anything earlier about Compass so I was talking about the magnetic case not having an effect on the iPhone itself. If you are attempting to use Compass of course that will have an effect since there is no way for the weak magnetic field of the earth to override the magnetic field of the case. So if you want to use Compass then don't use the magnetic case. If you want to use the magnetic case then don't use Compass. Simple.

You can't have it both ways.

I still stand by my original position the magnetic case will not effect the iPhone.

Allan

Jul 24, 2012 6:30 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I use a iPad style magnetic back on my iPhone (folds up as a stand and can be used to support its weight on metal surfaces) and tested maps, compass and GPS navigation software, and found no change in the performance or accuracy. Mind you the magnets on the case are about 1mm thick and run the whole length on the back and obviously the metal lining on the actual case to have that magnet on. So I doubt a magnetic latch will have any affect. Allan is right and does not affect the phone hardware either. You did get a dud informing you! lol

Mar 5, 2015 1:28 AM in response to IAMSTOCKER

You are responding to a post made over three years ago, and you are wrong.

The iPhone compass responds to magnetic fields. Wave a magnet about in its proximity. That was easily proven, wasn't it? http://science.opposingviews.com/digital-compass-iphone-18046.html

GPS defines position, not orientation. A satnav equipped car does not know which way it is facing until it moves, and can then calculate direction from the change in position.

Mar 5, 2015 5:15 AM in response to tonefox

Actually, I just got a new case for my iPhone 4. It has a magnetic closure. And I just tested it, and it doesn't seem to affect the true north detection. I haven't tried it with a stronger magnet, so perhaps at a certain strength level there is an effect. But in my case (pun intended), no effect. And this is actually a pretty inexpensive case. Got it for $5, and it came with a stylus, screen protector, cleaning cloth and a spare USB cable. So, it's definitely not a 'high-end' case. I would imagine a better case with a magnetic closure would be even better designed and take that into consideration. But YMMV.

Aug 9, 2016 3:54 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Hi,

I can see this is now and old thread but it came up whilst I was looking for positive and sensible answers to iPhone magnetic cases. I wasn't able to find any, so below is my two penny's worth, but in short don't buy one!

Hi I recently bought a new from Apple iPhone se, I have since bought 2 cases with magnetic closure, and both affect the accuracy of the compass. One was relatively cheap at £7.99 it has magnets in the front and back powerful enough to pick up a tea spoon. With the phone in this case the comapss reads approximately 180 degrees out! You would be heading south if you followed the North pointing reading! Taken out of the case and "rebooted" it reads true on both magnetic and true North. I bought another more expensive case at around £20 with no mention in the literature that it had magnetic closure. With the iPhone in this case the compas reads approximately 120 degrees out of true. Again out of the case and rebooted the compass readings are accurate. I conclude from these findings that magnetic cases most definitely do have an adverse effect on the compass readings, and it is reasonable to assume that the case may well affect maps and other location services. I have a cheap and nasty 99p case with no magnets, in which the phone and compass works perfectly.

My advice to anyone lost on Dartmoor or anywhere else on a cold night, would be to remove your iPhone from its magnetic case, reboot the phone. If you can gat a gps fix the phone maps should show you the way home. No gps fix, an old fashioned paper map, assuming you can read it, together with the iPhone compass should get you to safety. BTW place the offending case in the bins provided : )

iPhone case with a Magnetic Closure... Good or bad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.