Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I FIXED MY DRAINAGE AND PHANTOM USAGE PROBLEMS ON MY IPHONE 4S RUNNING 5.0.1

1. I did a full backup to iCloud
  2. I placed my phone in DFU mode did a restore from iTunes
  3. I skipped iCloud setup on the initial setup screens
  4. Then I redid iCloud only activating contacts,calender,

bookmarks and find my phone.
  5. Then i turned off contacts, calender, bookmarks *after they appear in myphone*
  6. Left find my phone on
  7. And installed all my apps manually (took a while) and thats it

KEEP IN MIND EVERYTHING ON MY IPHONE IS TURNED ON---BLUETOOTH, SIRI, RAISE TO SPEAK, LOCATION, WIFI, AND ICLOUDS FIND MY IPHONE. JUST TURNING OFF ICLOUD BEFORE THE RESTORE IN DFU DID NOT FIX MY PROBLEM. NO PHANTOM USAGE. PHONE FEELS LIKE IT WILL LAST FOR 2 OR MORE DAYS WITH MODERATE USE!

User uploaded file

NORMALLY I WOULD WAKE UP WITH AT LEAST 3 HOURS OF USAGE EVEN THO I DIDNT TOUCH MY PHONE!!!! MY BACKSCREEN IS EVEN SET TO 5 MINUTES.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 6:51 AM

12 replies

Jan 22, 2012 8:11 AM in response to russell2012

Yea I did it over wifi. Doing it to iTunes and then restoring back sounds risky because you may be carrying over corrupt information to the phone and may put you back to square one. I would suggest writing down all your contacts and reentering them after the dfu restore. And redownloading all your apps from the purchased screen in the app store.

Jan 22, 2012 12:28 PM in response to Appleshxt757

All those people who turn this and that off to get a 'reasonable' battery life, STOP!

You buy the device to use it, not to complete/ re-engineer the manufacturing process.

The phone should work out of the box and reasonably go close to its specs, at least 75% of the spec.

This is not true for the 4S let's face it.

If you are turning features off, you are deceiving yourself to make yourself relieved and happy that your 4S has no problems.STOP!

This phone has problems with 3G/antenna and some software problems IMO, yourself a customer CAN'T solve these problems.FACT!

@rpunte42, am starting to believe what has been written, you work for Apple. Stop sugar coating problems and give in that there is a problem.

Too much rant from me, on a lighter note, turn off the 4S, you will get better life, 2% loss in 24Hrs🙂

End.

Jan 22, 2012 12:48 PM in response to snif123

But in this case after the update to 5.0.1 I didn't work great out of the box so we have 2 choices....wait on apple or come up with our own fix. Restoring from iTunes fixed my problem but it came back after a restart. But restoring in DFU mode completely remedied my problem. I don't have iCloud on because I don't use it and I don't want random pics I take popping up on my other apple devices at home. But I did try it with iCloud fully on and i have NO DRAIN ISSUES.

I know everybody is sick of going thru this but this way worked for me.

Jan 22, 2012 12:51 PM in response to snif123

Actually according to the Ts&Cs of this forum if you apologise for ranting you probably are and that is against the

required Forum conduct

Great piece of work Appleshxt757

I imagine many will have taken on board your findings and there are many threads which have identified some solutions which have made life easier for 4S users WW pending any action from Apple 😉

Jan 22, 2012 7:22 PM in response to Appleshxt757

What if itunes is uploading corrupt data which the ios5 cannot handle? I mean when i completely removed itunes, later on i did a reinstall but all my saving where still there, deespite the instructions from apples 3 step itunes removal. The old itunes user information is somehow i stored hidden somehwere. By using icloud basically you are bypassing the corrupted data during a restore. It might sound stupid but its just a theory :/. I dont have acess to wifi/internet otherwise i would try this method.

Jan 23, 2012 10:21 AM in response to Appleshxt757

But last week what worked for you was closing all the crash looping "multitasking" apps after a reset with discharge/recharge à la davidch... it was THE ultimate way to resolve this - and of course you made a new thread about it after using your phone for less than 20% of its charge. You're very enthusiastic.

In the meantime in the "big" thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3391947?start=9555&tstart=0) there's been quite a few reminders since last week about making sure to download updated apps from the store and to rebuild the phone instead of proceeding with a restore from a pre-5 device, and also quite a few hints that iCloud was very hungry on the radio for backing everything up all the time and such.

And all of a sudden comes your enlightened procedure of the week. But it has nothing to do with the big thread because yours involves DFU.

Nothing personal though. If you make it work for you then more power to you. But there is no one size fits all way of doing this. Anyways. Good luck!

I FIXED MY DRAINAGE AND PHANTOM USAGE PROBLEMS ON MY IPHONE 4S RUNNING 5.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.