Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I check that my Airport Express is extending my network?

I've recently bought an Airport Extreme to go with my Airport Express so that I can improve the coverage of our network in our home. I've followed the helpful instructions from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259 and things look to be working. However, I'm not 100% convinced that we are getting any better coverage mainly because:

- our iPhone's and iPad say that we only get a signal strength of 1 or 2 bars when only a metre away from the Airport Express

- however, when I do a speed test I get the same as what I would when close to our base station Airport Extreme

- strangely my Mac Book Pro shows 3 bar signal strength when in the poor parts of the house

Does anyone know when all the differences in apple products signal strength? Is there an easy way that I can check that our network has indeed been extended?

Cheers

John

Lion OSX-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 9:13 AM

On your MacBook Pro......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme and look in the area to the right for the AirPort ID of that device. Jot down the last few digits of the ID.

Do the same for the AirPort Express

Locate the MacBook Pro very close to the device that you have setup to "extend"

Hold down the option key on the Mac while you click on the fan shaped AirPort icon at the top of the screen. Look for the BSSID. That is the AirPort ID of the device to which the Mac is connected.

It should be the AirPort ID of the "exending" device. Is that the case?

If it's not.....the extending device is not extending....and you are connecting to the "main" device.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2012 9:13 AM in response to madjdesigns

On your MacBook Pro......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme and look in the area to the right for the AirPort ID of that device. Jot down the last few digits of the ID.

Do the same for the AirPort Express

Locate the MacBook Pro very close to the device that you have setup to "extend"

Hold down the option key on the Mac while you click on the fan shaped AirPort icon at the top of the screen. Look for the BSSID. That is the AirPort ID of the device to which the Mac is connected.

It should be the AirPort ID of the "exending" device. Is that the case?

If it's not.....the extending device is not extending....and you are connecting to the "main" device.

Mar 3, 2012 4:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, I came across this thread and I have a similar question. I have a Airport Extreme and a Airport Express. The Express is set up to "extend" my network. Everything is set up right (at least I think so). How can I test to see if the Express is actually "extending" my network?

I only use the wifi for my iPad 2 and iPod touch's. My desktop, which is a windows PC, is connected to the Extreme via Ethernet. And the Express is located "midway" from where I need signal.

Feb 27, 2016 12:32 PM in response to aka-128

Unfortunately, you are positing to a thread that is almost 4 years old. Please start a new post.

Which "device" is not extending?

Is the "main" network being provided by another Apple router? If yes, what model do you have?

How is the device extending......using wireless...or.....using a wired Ethernet connection?

Are you using a Mac or PC to configure things?

How can I check that my Airport Express is extending my network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.