Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Antivirus software

Do I need to install antivirus software?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:07 AM

No.

Read this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3674320?answerId=17364330022#17364330022

13 replies

Jan 22, 2012 11:13 AM in response to dgalletti

I case you are new to Mac: do also not install or use cleaners (is done by OSX itself daily, weekly and monthly), do not install or use defragmentation apps (is handled by OSX itself), do not install booster/memory enhancers apps, nor memory-optimizers or other apps that free up memory. All those are a waste of resources, are not necessary, will slow down (or worse) your mac.

Feb 20, 2012 1:56 PM in response to dgalletti

My mac most definitely has a virus of some sort. When I press my caps lock key, my current internet browser closes. I was also writing an e-mail and hit the back space once and it continued to backspace until everything was deleted and I couldn't stop it.

I am reading not to install antivirus apps for macs, but obviously I need one! Thoughts? How do I clean up my MacBook Pro??

Feb 20, 2012 3:07 PM in response to jduff04

That is not a symptom of any known Mac malware. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a hardware issue with the keyboard, but that's just a guess.

Regarding malware, see:

http://www.reedcorner.net/guides/macvirus

(Note that my pages contain links to other pages that promote my services, and this should not be taken as an endorsement of my services by Apple.)

Feb 16, 2013 5:26 AM in response to dgalletti

Although there is a consistent theme among Mac users that the Mac OS cannot be infected by executable malicious software, there is growing data that proves otherwise. Although the number of "bugs" out there are not as numerous as those for PCs, the prudent person will realize it only takes one to steal your confidential passwords and account information, or otherwise ruin your day. The facts are that the number of "bugs" out there that can attack a Mac are beginning to proliferate as the number of Macs sold rapidly increases. Although Apple would like you to continue to believe Macs are not susceptable to malicious software, because this perpetuated urban legend sells computers, the reality is that Macs "CAN" be infected and that these infections pose significant security risks. I've attached a recent excerpt from an article in USA Today that addresses this myth of immunity. Also included below is the link to the full article. If one looks around, there are others out there. I don't expect it will convince the ardent "Apple-ites" in this world to reconsider their positions, but for those who make decisions based upon data and real world facts, this should help lend some credence to the need to be cautious, in the least, or to install virusware on their Apple systems to be truly safe.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2013/02/14/tech-myths-mac-s oftware-megapixels-camera/1910521/

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2013 4:20 AM in response to Sagamore

That article contains absolutely zero real information. I'm not sure why you would post it on a topic that was marked as solved a year ago. More than enough other good information was posted... I would encourage anyone viewing this topic at this point to read that, rather than a few short (and vague) paragraphs written by Kim Komando in USA Today.

Antivirus software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.