Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I position my added audio track?

Hi all,

I need to have a delayed start for my added audio track.

The music should only start 30 seconds after the movie starts.

I tried to position it manually to a second movie sequence but it doesn't seem to work... it will only place itself at the beginning.

If anybody has clue?

Thanks in advance.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 11:35 AM

Apple have made background music rather simple in iMovie.

You are allowed only one track, and it just starts at the top.

I have found the only way to do this is to create multiple projects that later are assembled together as a whole.

Not the nicest solution, but it works.

Duplicate the project,

then delete the 30 seconds you want music free, and add the music track,

save this new video out to the camera roll.

Open the origonal project, delete the bit you just added music to, and insert the other video you just made.

This way you can have multiple music tracks too .

I tend to edit the whole video, and then break it into parts to add music and adjust the edits.

Then assemble all the parts again for a final output.

This is reasonably quick for small home movies.

I realise that everytime you save to camera roll you lose quality of video;

but it is minimal and I also tend to archive out the iMovie Projects just in case I want to edit again later.

I tend to use 'Splice' or 'Voddio' if I want to edit more complex stuff and retain quality.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2012 11:35 AM in response to Emanuele_8D

Apple have made background music rather simple in iMovie.

You are allowed only one track, and it just starts at the top.

I have found the only way to do this is to create multiple projects that later are assembled together as a whole.

Not the nicest solution, but it works.

Duplicate the project,

then delete the 30 seconds you want music free, and add the music track,

save this new video out to the camera roll.

Open the origonal project, delete the bit you just added music to, and insert the other video you just made.

This way you can have multiple music tracks too .

I tend to edit the whole video, and then break it into parts to add music and adjust the edits.

Then assemble all the parts again for a final output.

This is reasonably quick for small home movies.

I realise that everytime you save to camera roll you lose quality of video;

but it is minimal and I also tend to archive out the iMovie Projects just in case I want to edit again later.

I tend to use 'Splice' or 'Voddio' if I want to edit more complex stuff and retain quality.

Apr 18, 2013 10:57 AM in response to Emanuele_8D

I know this I'm a little late to this party, so you've probably already figured this out, but what the hey.

When you drag an audio track to the Project area, ensure you target a clip – not the area around the clip. If you target the area around the clip, it will turn a dark green colour, and your track will be added as a background track with little control for positioning.

However, if you target a clip, the track is added as a 'floating' selection, and can be moved to any point in the movie timeline. If you've dragged it correctly, it should look like this:

User uploaded file

Hope that helps!

How can I position my added audio track?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.