Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked files?

I transferred files from my MacBook Pro to my Mini Mac. Now I cannot use these files unless I put in my password. I also am unable to edit any of the transferred files. I get a message that says I don't have the necessary privileges. I tried going to "Get Info" on each file and folder and making sure the file is unlocked and I made sure that my user is valid under the permissions tab. What can I do to unlock these files?

Mac mini (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 11:45 AM

5 replies

Jan 22, 2012 12:18 PM in response to Suzy0528

The message means just what it says. The permissions of the files don't allow you to modify them. Not sure if there's a way to do this as a batch method (Automator). But click on a file and press Command+I. In the resulting box, expand "Sharing & Permissions", if it isn't already open. Click on the lock at the lower right. Enter your admin name and password. Now you can click the + button to add yourself with Read/Write permissions.

Jan 22, 2012 12:51 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Yep....did all that. It still makes me enter a password to open the file. Could it be something with my User file? When I transfered the files using the Migration Manager app, it transfered a User file. But, I'm not using that User file. My husband deleted it (trying to help!!). So I have a new User that I'm working under. Could that be the issue?

Jan 22, 2012 1:04 PM in response to Suzy0528

When I transferred the files using the Migration Manager app, it transferred a User file.

Do you mean you transferred over a User account? If so, that's the problem. Any file within another account is off limits to everyone else, including the admin account.

One way around it (without resorting to activating the root user), is to boot to another drive or partition. Once started up to that OS X install, you can access the other drive with your husband's old account as just a drive/partition of ordinary files. Copy the documents onto a flash drive, or to another location out of the user account. Boot back to your normal drive. You should be able to access and modify the documents.

Or, since you can open the files, rather than trying to save back over them, do a Save As to a new folder. Will it allow you to create a duplicate of the file that way?

Locked files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.