Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Crashes

Hi All.

My older MacBook Pro crashes or Freezes constantly.

OS X 10.5.8 ( have aplications that do not work in newer OS )

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"

Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,2

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

I know this is a older computer, but I do not understant why this is suddently happening.

I also ran disk tool and got this. Note that I have gotten the same result 2 times in a row. So it looks like it is not fixing anything.

Verify permissions for “Harddrive”

Reading permissions database.

Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources /DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "bin/rcp" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rlogin" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (17-inch), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 5:51 PM

Tried again:

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources /DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

What excatly is Disk utillity doing ? Nothing is getting repaired ?

Can anyone help me with this ?

Also I think I do have some problems with the graphics card as I do get stripes on my screen now and then.

Some one told me that there is problems with some cards and that Apple will replace these cards. Could this be the problem ?

And why is Apple not sending me an email in case I do have a faulty Graphics card ?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2012 5:51 PM in response to justjesper

Tried again:

What excatly is Disk utillity doing ? Nothing is getting repaired ?

Can anyone help me with this ?

Also I think I do have some problems with the graphics card as I do get stripes on my screen now and then.

Some one told me that there is problems with some cards and that Apple will replace these cards. Could this be the problem ?

And why is Apple not sending me an email in case I do have a faulty Graphics card ?

Jan 24, 2012 9:58 PM in response to justjesper

Justjesper,

If the permission's are not getting repaired this is a good (read bad) indicator that the HDD is failing. I would back up your data (if you already haven't done so) and attempt to repair the permissions again.

If this persists, its time to head to the Apple Store (or call).

To further answer your question, YES, there are SOME macbook pro's that had faulty logic boards and they were a known issue. Granted, these Macbook pros are only CERTAIN ones. I was fortunate enough that when my logic board went (video totally died) i got it replaced for free. (if you have having intermitant video card issues, you may well qualify)

Again, I had to go to the Apple Store for this.

Good luck!

MacBook Pro Crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.