Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro a/c adapter not charging

The Apple a/c adapter that charges the Macbook Pro (daughter's computer) does not charge the computer nor does the green light on the cord light up. Was going to test someone's else Macbook Pro adapter to see if the issue is with the original adapter and not the internal battery. Assume the adapter just needs to be replaced. Not for sure if there was some type of electrical surge or problem that caused the adapter to go bad.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 12:42 PM

I'm sorry, but is there a question?

16 replies

Jan 22, 2012 10:03 PM in response to mikeborgna

Common issue - yet with no satisfactory response from Apple:

I had this problem happen to both my notebooks on the same day - (one week after they were both upgraded)

I am assuming that your battery is in good condition...if so:

Try this workaround on youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYIMDQxunI

you may need to also do PRAM / NVRAM (power down: option + command + P + R {hold for 5 sec and release}) and SMC (power down: shift + control + option + command + power button {hold for 5 sec and release}) resets as explained in the comments.

Jan 23, 2012 11:06 AM in response to mikeborgna

I had a similar problem today(exactly few minutes back), suddenly my MBP not charging and there was no light on the megasafe connector. I tried the SMC reset option but it didn't work and tried all other possibilities with no luck. Finally I decided to go the apple store tomorrow and the last thing I did was removed the power connector from MBP then shutdown it and CLOSED THE LID then I connected the charger connecter again bingo!!!!!! 🙂 I am having the orange light on the connector.

So Possible cause could be.... the following. As per apple support page they stated SMC is also responsible for the lid closing and opening(movement), since I left the system opened and it was sleeping mode and by that time the charger was not connected to it and there was power cut at my house, so I just connected my charger to the system power on the charger switch and left when I came back I found this problem. hope the LID+Sleeping mode combination might have caused some hung up issue with the charging!

Apr 22, 2012 9:33 PM in response to shivakara

Thank you for the tip, Shivakara. I'm 1 1/2 hr from the closest Apple store, and your solution appears to have worked for me! My laptop battery had suddenly drained completely while I was away for a few hours and I had trouble getting the orange light to stay on. Then when I did get the light to stay on and left it overnight, it was still orange in the morning and the battery charged to only 4%. Now it's back to 100% and the light is green. I'm crossing my fingers that your solution will save me a big trip to the Apple store!

Jul 1, 2013 4:07 PM in response to mikeborgna

Hi

Had the problem of "battery not charging" on Macbook Pro 2006

Charger connecter lit up green

It was very new non apple battery from OWC

Looked at the System Profile only 16 cycles on the battery

AC charger was shown as "connected"

Battery showed up so not a problem with poor connection or not properly inserted (I had tried taking the battery in and out several times) but the profiler said "Charging: No"

Charger worked on another Macbook so that wasnt the problem

I tried the SMC reset where you sleep, shutdown, take out the battery, press power supply for 5 secs, reconnect AC, reinsert battery etc - No luck

Then I read the SMC also controls the sleep wake cycle and lid closure.

I cant exactly remember what I did because I was so ****** off by this stage and starting to lose concentration but I think I closed the lid and let the computer go to sleep and then opened it again to rewake.

After doing this 3 times the bloody thing now shows the battery is charging

A bit random I know but saved me having mental breakdown

I would love to know if this helps anyone else!

macbook pro a/c adapter not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.