Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2009 Macbook Pro not working with LED cinema display after upgrading to Lion

I've been using my mid 2009 15" macbook prro with a 20" apple cinema display for the last year and a half with no problems, until the other day I upgrade to Lion and notice these problems when starting up the computer - connected to the display - and being completely frozen on the login screen.

I assume this is a Lion thing, I can't think of anything else. I have no externals hard drives or devices plugged in at start up. This is a ery annoying problem.

Please any others of you out there experiencing this problem, let me know if you've had any success.

Thanks,

Keegan

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Trouble with Apple Cinema Display

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 2:26 PM

1 reply

Apr 18, 2012 3:35 AM in response to keeganfromZA

I'm not sure about mid-2009 MacBook Pros but I have an early '08 15" MBP which has suffered pretty much the same problem. The first issue about 6 months ago was after an install of Lion, and the whole computer went totally unresponsive. I took it to a repair shop and they told me that the OS had corrupted my laptop, through a damaged file or something else.

Yesterday, I went to wake my MBP from sleep and the screen didn't turn itself back on. I attempted to put it back into sleep but the light in the push button latch didn't fade and the computer didn't sleep. I forced a shutdown and restarted but no luck. Since then I have forced shutdown six times and removed the battery twice in the hope it'll give it a kick up the backside and get it to start again, but nothing has prevailed. The odd thing is I can use the volume keys and the caps lock and num lock lights illuminate, and I can hear the sound of the volume but everything else is dead.

I have restarted in safe mode several times but STILL nothing. In the past when my laptop has woken from sleep I have needed to put it back to sleep to get a display but the display has lit up in these cases, just not supplied me with a log in screen.

I would really like a solution to this problem that doesn't cost money and ideally doesn't take too much time; I have very important exams in three weeks' time, and all my study notes are on my laptop. I'm especially annoyed this time because I've only just got a new charger after a week of not being able to use my laptop, and yesterday I was only able to use it for a couple hours before this problem arose.

I have not installed any updates for weeks but I bought some new music yesterday, and of course I used the new charger - that's all that has been different.

Really need some help with this one.

Mid 2009 Macbook Pro not working with LED cinema display after upgrading to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.