Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro hangs for 10-15 seconds when recording or playing

Just in the last few days Logic Pro has started hanging (beachball) for 10 or 15 seconds before it records or plays. This makes it unusable for work which I am trying to do at the moment.

I have tried restarting, changing project locations and trashing preferences all to no avail.

Anyone else experienced this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 3:57 PM

29 replies

Jan 22, 2012 4:17 PM in response to Cheesenightmare

I have now discovered that

1 - playing is not an issue - just recording.

2 - The delay is reliably 30 seconds not 10-15 as originally mentioned (I timed it)

3 - I should mention that after the delay everything is fine recording-wise.

4 - The beachball takes all the system resources slowing down any other applications I may have open including Safari

Jan 22, 2012 4:20 PM in response to Cheesenightmare

Did you do any OS updates recently, or install new hardware, like a new drive.. or add a printer...etc...anything?

Logic used to behave like this if you were recording to a drive that was PC formatted.

Other thoughts... how much free space do you have on your system drive.

Also, open up task monitor and see if you see a process using a lot of CPU.

Jan 22, 2012 4:29 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks for the reply.

The only update i ran recently was for iTunes.

I am running a Thunderbolt Pegasus R4 RAID but am not necesarily recording to it (I have tried recording to a local drive with the same issue)

I have 873GB available on my 1TB System drive (My home directory is located on the Pegasus RAID)

CPU shows no strain - here is the monitor at the time of Beachballing:

User uploaded file

Jan 22, 2012 4:50 PM in response to Cheesenightmare

**UPDATE**

I have discovered that the issue seems to be related to my home directory being Based on my external Thunderbolt RAID

I created a couple of test accounts - one on the local system disc and one on the RAID. Totally fresh accounts. Result: the local version was fine and the RAID version gave the 30 second delay before recording.

Odd that this started happening only in the last few days. I have been running my setup happily for months with no issue.

I am still not sure why the issue should happen but at least I have a workaround.

Jan 22, 2012 4:56 PM in response to Cheesenightmare

Don't know then, I don't think an iTunes update could cause this.. an OS system update maybe.

No new plugins then? I'm out of ideas, like I said before I always related this problem to external drives. but don't know why it would just start happening if it worked perfectly before.

It does this on all projects, or just ones started with a default template?

If you go the the Mac's System Preferences/Accounts what do you have running under Login items? How about creating a new user account and running Logic from there, if working properly that would eliminate the hardware.

Feb 2, 2012 6:14 PM in response to Cheesenightmare

Cheesenightmare wrote:

OK I have found one thing that absolutely fixes it everytime. Switching input device to NONE.

The issue persists if input is set to my external USB Mic *or* my inbuilt mic.

Any thoughts on what this could point to?

Yes, sync clock is taken from the input audio device... what it your output set to?

Please don't tell me your using the Mac's internal audio for anything, please, please...

Hopefully no Aggregate device either!

Feb 2, 2012 6:24 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks for getting back to me - going a bit crazy her over this.

I Usually use a USB audio interface (Zoom ST2) and a Rode Podcast Mic

I sometime use aggregate and yes i sometimes use the onboard audio for output.

I have now tried with the following combinations:

rode mic with built in output: Fail

rode mic with s2t: fail

inbuilt mic with inbuilt aduio out: Fail

inbuilt mic with s2t: Fail

by Fail I mean the hanging before recording issue presents itself

If I switch audio in to NONE, Success.

Does that provide any clues?

Feb 2, 2012 6:48 PM in response to Cheesenightmare

Yes, get yourself a real audio interface and a good mic! 😀

An audio interface that has solid drivers and Input/Output so you're not trying to mix and match devices.

An then you can use a good quality Mic running phantom power off the interface.

Ok, all that aside here's some more thoughts on your problem:

Ok, here's how Logic works.. All of Logic's sync, between MIDI and Audio is taken from the audio sample clock. Whether you use 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz it's the sample clock that Logic bases it's internal sync on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This test using the TB array:

Unplug the Zoom.

Wipe all of the Aggregate devices and create a new one with The Rode as the input and the built-in-audio as the output. Use a 44.1 or 48kHz sample rate. Select the Rode as the clock master. select the resample button on the built-in audio. Name the device save it...

Reboot, open Logic select the new aggregate device for both IN/Out.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Also--

Here's a combination you haven't tried, using the internal drive with the Thunderbolt array UNplugged.

Logic Pro hangs for 10-15 seconds when recording or playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.