Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Music Alphabetical Sorting Glitch

Hi,

I have an iPhone 4S on Verizon running iOS 5.0.1. My problem is that my music does not match the assigned alphabetical listing which makes it very difficult to sort through 200 Artists when I cannot use the sidebar to skip to a specific character. It also becomes a problem because it does not list all of my artists at the end of the list. If I wanted to listen to ZZ Top who would be at the very end of the Artist List on my iPhone, I can't without searching for him because the sorting ends at the T's. I have inserted some screen captures to help with any troubleshooting.

Obviously I know that the songs do exist in the library, if I were to search for ZZ Top it would successfully find him and I could play and song I wanted.

I have organized the iTunes Library by clicking on File - Library - Organize..., I have put the iPhone into DFU mode and restored from an iCloud Backup then synced the music from my PC, and I have also put the iPhone into DFU mode and setup as a new iPhone - All to no avail, it still does the same thing.

It is not an issue with Sort by Album Artist as the library successfully syncs to my iPod Touch (4th Gen) which runs iOS 5.0

I use iTunes 10.5.2.11 on a Samsung Laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit. I have had the same issues with my old laptop which was recently replaced - it was running iTunes 10.5.x on an HP 64 Bit Windows 7 Home.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 8:48 PM

9 replies

Jan 25, 2012 12:28 AM in response to pabrinton

I'm right there with you. I have an iPod Touch and a library I have used on both 64-bit Windows Vista and 64-bit Windows 7 which stubbornly sorts a Z in the H section in Albums. This is consistent behavior across both devices, and I cannot figure out why it could be happening. I even tried retyping the album name to see if maybe there was a hidden character messing things up - no dice. It's not a huge problem, but it sort of bothers me anyway. Interestingly, not every song in the album gets sorted there on iTunes - only some. The whole album is there on the iTouch, though.

Interestingly (I just tested this), it doesn't seem to matter what I rename the album to, the song remains in that spot when sorted by album. I just tried renaming the album to "AAA", and it remained in the same spot. How queer.

Mar 8, 2012 3:03 AM in response to pabrinton

The process below resolved the same issue occurring on my phone:

Turning iTunes Match on and off didn't seem to help, so I thought I would take a more aggressive approach. I turned off iTunes Match and deleted all of the songs that were in my phone's memory (dragging to the right across each artist and pressing delete). After I deleted the songs, it still showed the iCloud logo next to the artist, so I had to turn iTunes Match on and off again to get it to show me that I had no music in my library. Then I turned iTunes Match on AGAIN, and upon going back to the music app, I was greeting with a new screen: an iCloud logo with a progress bar beneath it. It then downloaded all of my music and ordered things properly!

Apr 11, 2012 6:08 PM in response to pabrinton

I had this issue too,

I found if you highlight your entire library and change/clear a few unimportant bits in the info section it fixes this.

After highlighting my entire library and clicking 'Get Info', I ticked the following boxes and left them blank/ cleared the info:

Info - Grouping & Composer

The whole video section

The whole sorting section

Options - The bottom 3 tick boxes.

I dont know which one was the fix because I done them all together but it worked.

Hope it helps.

iPhone Music Alphabetical Sorting Glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.