Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 42404 after 10.5.3.3 upgrade

Has anyone got a fix for this or is it a software issue on iTunes part. I have windows 7 64 bit and until yesterday when i did the upgrade i had no problems. I have tried repair and uninstall and reinstall which i have done and i still get the message " A required iTunes component is not installed. Please repair or reinstall iTunes (-42404)" it would suggest that there is something missing with the install of iTunes as iTunes worked fine up until i did the upgrade yesterday. I have noticed a number of similiar issues here and on Google so many many people have this same problem after upgrading to 10.5.3.3

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 7:29 PM

Dont't know what went wrong with iTunes, but I updated and I gives me the error two or three times. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and Quicktime but the problem is still happening, just so you don't bother wasting your time doing what I did. I tried asking tech support about it, but it's been a month or so and I still dont have an answer. Good luck!

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2012 7:29 PM in response to Jammmmy

Dont't know what went wrong with iTunes, but I updated and I gives me the error two or three times. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and Quicktime but the problem is still happening, just so you don't bother wasting your time doing what I did. I tried asking tech support about it, but it's been a month or so and I still dont have an answer. Good luck!

Jan 25, 2012 10:33 PM in response to Tactizaz

I hear ya there, i have tried support and am now waiting for a senior tech to get back to me, in summary this is what i have tried:

Uninstalling via the sequence

also unstalled icloud, safari and quicktime

ran regcure to ensure everything is cleaned up

rebooted

downloaded a fresh install

reinstalled

New message came up when it finished downloading and tried to start

"iTunes was not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes. Error 7 (Windows Error 5)" Second message popped up "iTunesHelper not installed correctly. Please repair or reinstall iTunes. Error 7"

If i end up finding a fix will definately post it.

Jan 26, 2012 2:59 AM in response to Ponyboysa42

OMG!! I have fixed it ok guys here is the answer for all Windows 7 pplz upgrading to 10.5.3.3 who have the following errors:

Error 7 Windows Error 5

ItunesHelper didnt install

Itunes didnt install

mobilehelper didnt install

error -42404

Here is the fix:

Firstly thank you to Chris, Senior Advisor at Apple he doesnt know it yet but he set me to thinking and i can now say i have solved it. Before you start make sure you have completed the unistall sequence elsewhere on the forum.

Firstly go to the c:\program files (x86) then go to Common Files now here is the trick guys you may think you have got all of C drive to show all hidden files but you may not have so click Organise, Folder Seach options and Click and click View then ensure the Show all files is selected. Now you may notice you have an Apple folder which may not have been there when you did the uninstall of the sequence listed elsewhere on this board.

What the main issue here is if you installed iTunes but did not right click and choose install as an administrator then you will not be able to delete this folder I dont know if this is a Windows or Apple or both and why certain areas still don't show all files when you have this in C: i don't know either.

What you need to do is right click then choose properties then go to Security then to advanced then to Owner if it says Unknown in the box you need to click edit then choose an administrator listed then click ok, ok on the next box and ok all the way back. Now double click on the folder and click ok to the next box and you are in and you can go back and delete this folder. Now the bad news is you have to do this to every single folder in everything in the apple folder. This is painful but you may know of software or a trick in windows that will reset every permission in every folder under apple but i did every single one myself. Then download fresh iTunes and Quicktime. Right Click Quicktime and run as administrator do the same with iTunes 10.5.3.3 and your done mine is now back up and running woohoooo. Side note i did empty the recycle bin and reboot before i did the reinstall.

Cheers all

Jan 26, 2012 3:19 AM in response to Jammmmy

As a side note to make it a little more explainable, I had got my computer to show all files when i bought it and when i was under Common files in program Files x86 i checked and it was showing hidden files. I put this to show hidden files and an Apple folder appeared. Now i could not delete the folder because it didnt have permission i couldnt even look in it. So i found that by right clicking it and choosing properties and going to Security, Then to advanced button the Owner Tab then mine said unknown owner or something to that effect so clicked the edit button and choose an administrator account and then clicked ok all the way out. Then i double clicked on the folder and clicked ok to the box that popped up and i was in. Now there are many folders and sub folders and you have to do this to every single folder before you can go back and delete. You must go through all the steps to have access to each folder. It was a very long and painful way of doing it and i don't know if this is an Apple or Windows fault but it's a pain in the but for sure. After i had gained permission to every single folder i was able to delete each folder until i reached the Apple folder itself. This was the little $#@#$ that was stopping iTunes from installing properly. Once i completed the above steps, emptied the recycle bin, rebooted then reinstalled as administrator (right click on install file and choose run as administrator) Itunes 10.5.3.3 is now working and is working just like it did before no problems at all.

hope you guys can aunderstand my babble and i hope this works for you.

Cheers

Feb 2, 2012 4:17 PM in response to Jammmmy

Just a fast way to make yourself owner of those files... You can do this straight from the Apple file so you dont have to do each one manually any subfolders are taken under ownership; This is the easy way http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-righ t-click-menu-in-vista/

They also have a guide on how to write the take ownership file if you don't trust the download.

-Cheers

Feb 8, 2012 8:57 AM in response to Jammmmy

Jammmmmy, you da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your fix worked perfectly. I can't tell you how much of my life has been wasted on this little glitch over the years. I wasted hours trying to fix and had to go thru all sorts of time consuming gyrations everytime I updated itunes. Can I send a small token of gratitude via Amazon? Doc

Feb 9, 2012 3:23 PM in response to amandorfer

No the "uninstall" will not delete your library. I too was afraid of this issue when I first had to uninstall in order to then upgrade.

Which direction are you referring to, the Uninstall (control Panel->prograns and features->right click on itunes to uninstall) or the administrator privilege issue I have struggled with the past two years before Jammy solved my problem?

BTW, always a good idea to back up your itunes librabry given the time and expense to create. Good luck. Doc

Mar 13, 2012 11:28 PM in response to orthorad1

Ok i would first go to the the Windows icon on the bottom left corner, then in the search i would type msconfig and hit enter on the keyboard. Then go to startup tab and scroll through and see what of apple is set to fire up when the computer is turned on.

If you do have apple stuff there remove ticks and apply then choose restart. Try from here.

If that fails go to control panel and on the top right, click the little down arrow and choose large icons. Open administrative tools and then choose services. Any apple ones here that are not manual right click and choose stop. Then try again with the uninstall. Hope this helps......cheers

Error 42404 after 10.5.3.3 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.