Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook stuck on loading screen

My Macbook is stuck on the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning wheel. After I start it up the loading bar loads a little bit, and then it starts to load again to the same amount and then the screen is just the logo and the wheel. This is really frustrating and I have tried everything to fix this myself. The problem started when I tried to update and it wouldn't install. And then about 3 weeks later I updated, and then when I restarted this happened. I don't have the install discs. Please, if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 1:06 AM

10 replies

Jan 23, 2012 2:07 AM in response to harnage29

Ok, well here are some other steps that you can perform that may get you going again... If you go through ALL of these steps and you still have no luck then you will need to get your hands on an installation disc.

- First thing to do is to reset the PRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

- Start the machine in single user mode by holding down "s" on startup. then run a disc repair by typing in "/sbin/fsck -fy"

If you get a message saying 'the system was modified then run the test again. you need to keep running the test until you get a message that tells you that your volume appears to be OK.

- Remove any third party RAM and unplug anything from the machine that doesn't need to be plugged (printer, external HDD etc).

If none of these steps work then unfortunately you will need to hunt down an installation disc.

Oct 15, 2014 6:56 PM in response to harnage29

I had this same error /problem, and I initially thought it was a software problem from all the apple forums, but learned that in MY CASE it was in fact the hard drive cable, which was coming slightly loose upon moving the laptop... this happened after installing a new hard drive (memory upgrade). If you have this issue or continue having this issue, make sure that all your mounting screws are in your hard drive (especially after a hd replacement) and that your hard drive cable is not loose. Even if it becomes slightly loose upon moving, your computer will go back to a grey screen upon startup. A small amount of tape securing cable to hard drive seemed to fix the issue I was having (you must make sure there will be no loosening of the cable with movement, etc), but you may opt for a new hard drive cable. You can try saving any data on the drive, but then you must reinstall the hard drive and reinstall MacOS after using command +R and erasing the disk.

Macbook stuck on loading screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.