Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving photos to the first position

Hi

When I inport a photo it goes to the end of all the photos in the browser but I woould then like to move it to the first place, is there any way other than draging it to the top as this take a long time when you have a lot of photos 1,000s.

Ta

2.93GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Memory 8GB also Mac OS X now (10.7)

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 6:17 AM

15 replies

Jan 23, 2012 6:48 AM in response to George Hilton

The slightly longer version 🙂 :

The Browser shows you the Images contained in any selected container(s).

You can sort the Images in the Browser ascending or descending, on _any_ metadata field you can show in List View.

List View is one of the two ways of displaying Images and data in the Browser. The other is Grid View. There are buttons on the top right border of the Browser to switch between List and Grid views (also "View→Browser (the second "Browser" in this menu)→{List} or {Grid}").

The metadata in List View is shown as columns. Clicking an already-selected column header toggles ascending/descending (just like in Finder). You determine which columns show by checking them in the "Browser & Viewer Metadata Overlay" dialog box (button on bottom right of Browser border, also "View→Metadata Display→Customize"; NB: not on the "Metadata" menu, on the "View" menu).

There are two Metadata Overlays for List View: Basic and Expanded. I suggest adding _every available metadata field_ to the "Expanded" Overlay set. This will give you a spreadsheet-like table showing you all the Images in the selected container(s) and all the available metadata. Click a metadata column header to sort on that column's metadata. When you change back to Grid View this sort order is maintained, and will show in the drop-down sort order control in the top left of the Browser border.

Jan 23, 2012 7:07 AM in response to George Hilton

For me the following works:

• I import into a new project, not the one, I want the images in.
  • Then open the project I want, it will open at the first picture of the project, and then drag from the new project to the destination project.
  • And also, it helps to make the projects small; then the dragging distance will be shorter.

Or, if you import by dragging from the Finder, you can drop the image file exactly at the place in the film strip where you want the image to appear.

Cheers

Léonie

OT: And Kirby, I like your tidy longer version, but I think mine is longer : One picture says more than a thousand words - but that does not take the content in account 😝

Jan 23, 2012 7:18 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

And Kirby, I like your tidy longer version, but I think mine is longer : One picture says more than a thousand words 😝

I am sure we could discuss at length -- and with much reward -- information density, static -- with break-out sessions on methods of apprehension and encoding/decoding. As someone involved in the production and transmission of meaning both through typing and through sketching/painting/photographing, I offer this honing of that old saw: a picture says differently than a thousand words. Sharpening another phrase: Vivify the difference.

Yours is, indubitably, longer.

😁 .

Jan 23, 2012 7:51 AM in response to George Hilton

The Browser has searchfields, in the screenshot above you see one of them on top of the Browser window, to the right, with a text: "unrated or better". When you click on the tiny looking glass directly to the left, you get a drop down menu with search criteria, pick the one "flagged" (and try to remember the keyboard shortcut to be able to do that quickly). Now only the flagged images will show. You can do the same with any kind of rating, to shorten the list.

To flag an image, use the menu "Metadata -> flag" or the keyboard shortcut you see beside it. That will be much quicker. You should be able to do all this with a few simple keystrokes. I cannot tell you, which keyboard shortcuts you will see, that depends on your keyboard and localization. My shortcut is the german letter "Ü".

Jan 23, 2012 7:48 AM in response to George Hilton

George Hilton wrote:

it's in the browser tthat I would like to move photos and what I would like to do is drag a photo from the bottom to the top fast as possible do you know a way?

The Browser is not a container -- it is a way of displaying the contents of a containers. Containers in Aperture are Folders, Projects, Albums, and a few special pre-built containers. You select containers from the list on the Library tab of the Inspector, and the Browser displays the Images in the selected container(s).

Which container(s) are you selecting? What workflow puts you in the position of having to manually re-order the Images displayed?

Jan 23, 2012 7:57 AM in response to George Hilton

What Léonie means (I think 😎 ) is:

• Flag the first Image and all the other Images you want to move to a position ahead of the first Image.
  • Filter the Browser to show only flagged Images.
  • Move the first Image to the end of the Images.
  • Clear the Filter.
  • {Unflag the flagged Images.}

You will end up with a manual sort in which the Images you flagged are all at the top, with the originally-first-Image now the last of the flagged Images.

Clever! 😉.

Moving photos to the first position

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.