Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New desktop folders on Lion aren't empty

When I create new folders on my desktop, they aren't empty as they should be. They instead contain the folders already created on the desktop: it's as if instead of creating a new folder, I'm creating new desktops over and over. Rebooting, turning off and on made no difference in this behavior. I currently have three folders on my desktop, and they all have this problem. If I create a fourth one, it will have all four directories in it, even if the new folder is unnamed.

Is anybody else seeing this behavior? How can I make empty new folders on my desktop?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Computer is one month old.

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 9:23 AM

15 replies

Jan 23, 2012 9:59 AM in response to Eric Fauque

In the Finder, simply click on 'new folder' in the File menu (menu bar at top with Finder showing at left).

You'll get a new empty folder on the desktop with the name "untitled". Highlight that, hit the Return key, and the field changes so you can type in - name your folder whatever you want, i.e. Pictures. Then you move your pics or whatever into it. After that, you can file it away so it doesn't clutter up your desktop:

User uploaded file

As you can see from mine: I have several folders in my Documents Folder.

And, (the next column), I have my most important folder ' B's Docs' that has many subfolders in it which hold all sorts of files, docs, etc.

When done, I'd simply move those strange folders you have now into the trash and empty it.

Mar 10, 2012 5:04 PM in response to jeffga311

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having this problem...never had this problem with my powerbook with Tiger. Grrrrr

And yes before anyone explains the basics...I've been using a mac for 10 years...it IS a New Folder...NOT a Smart Folder.

Everything just copies everything already on the desktop everytime for each and every folder...so I have to weed thru

Everything just to find what I want in THAT specific folder.

Why do I need to create a Folder if it's a repeat of Everything already there! And if I Delete any folders in the New Folder.

It also Deletes it off the Desktop! ***!?!

Anyone know how to change the behavior of the NEW FOLDER so it is EMPTY from the git-go and I can put ONLY what I want in it...in it?

Thank you.

LJ

Message was edited by: bmeup

May 16, 2012 7:06 PM in response to bmeup

I have the SAME problem. Funny thing is... I have it on TWO iMacs. My older iMac using Snow Leopard, and how my new iMac which came with Lion.

I create a new folder and it's filled with the whole desktop. Every time.

The only way I can get a new empty folder is to open the HD and create it at the root of the HD. Then drag it to the desktop. This didn't happen when I first got the computer a few months ago.

Some kind of bug, for sure. Two computers. Different operating systems. Same problem.

May 16, 2012 7:37 PM in response to Rick Morton1

One more thing....

If I use "Quick Look" command-y to look into the folder, it shows as Zero KB - No Items.

Same thing if you open your finder, click on the Desktop in the list, then click the Untitled Folder,

you'll see that the folder is empty.

It's something about the VIEW more than actually putting items in the folder. This doesn't help the problem, of course, but this seems to be what's happening.

May 17, 2012 8:06 AM in response to Rick Morton1

Another update.

Now... if I create a folder on the hard drive root, it's empty. If I move it to the desktop, it is, again, filled with everything on the desktop. On the phone with support last night for an hour. They couldn't help, other than to infoirm me that if I look at the folder in the LIST view, the items aren't there. "You should use the list view" I was told. This, of course, is ridiculous, but that's all I got. That came from a senior tech associate.

So.. there seems to be no way out of this. I tried creating a new user again, and the same thing happened.

Hopefully, Mountain Lion will fix this.

May 17, 2012 10:23 AM in response to Rick Morton1

Ok. I'm stupid.

It's SUPPOSED to do this... and I should know it.

When you use the column view and open a folder, the left most column is the

beginning of the heirarchy, with your empty folder listed as Untitled Folder. If you click on it, you'll see

nothing in the right hand column. List view DOESN'T show the heirarchy... just the contents of the folder.

Problem solved. THing is... I was on the phone with support for an hour and they couldn't figure out the problem. My son caught it this morning. Duh.

May 19, 2013 7:40 AM in response to jeffga311

Having the same problem here too! But only one of our mac book pro is doing it.. Both Mac books are the same with same osx. I have to make all folder in my document folder and keep there. If I move them to the desktop after I make them it does the same thing to the folder. If I trash the folder it will trash everything on my desktop. This is crazy. Apple is no help at all. I miss Steve Jobs!

New desktop folders on Lion aren't empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.