Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new Lacie drive won't work :(

I got a Lacie drive but when I to connect it I get this "You can't open the application LaCie Setup Assistant because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." So I read something about just erasing the start up applications and I got this "Volume Erase failed with the error: File system formatter failed." So now what do I do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 10:50 AM

13 replies

Sep 11, 2012 1:24 PM in response to chikitupup

Hey C.

Just a quick note about the disk format i.e. journaling...

This is only useful on your system disk or partition i.e. where

your operating system is located. It seems that journaling was

intended for use in a server environment for a faster recovery

and restart but it can't hurt to have it on users machines.

I've got several partitions and I've only got journaling turned

on where my operating system is located.

Journaling DOES NOT guarantee you from losing your user data!

A.

References:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2355

Sep 11, 2012 4:04 PM in response to asgr

Understood, but Apple's insisting on you using it anyway and has made it a requirement if you want to install Lion, ML, or dynamically repartitioning a disk when using Disk Utility in those OSs. After you accomplish what you want to do, you can select a volume with journaling enabled in DU, OPTION-click on File, and disable journaling. I do that on a regular basis. I've had one power outage the past eight years and didn't lose a thing even though I run 24/7.

Sep 11, 2012 5:47 PM in response to chikitupup

Funnily enough I was in the middle of correcting my post with what you said above before my edit option strangely disappeared. Agreed... Under your average user setup, journaling is probably your best bet for a post crash recovery and you should keep it on for all drives/partitions. Never noticed the resizing option, cool.

I've had several power outs and OS crashes on 10.7.3/4 in the last six months alone that forced me into a cold restart and Lion seems to handle them incredibly well.

I've never found the Lacie utils of any use anyway and use DU and TechToolPro.

Brand new Lacie drive won't work :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.