Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off Magic Mouse option-scroll zoom?

Hi, I've been using a Magic Mouse with Lion for a few months. Recently it's been driving me crazy when I use Adobe applications like Illustrator and try to copy something (option-drag) and it starts zooming in or out if I move my finger on the mouse surface ever so slightly. Is there a way to turn this off?

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 11:52 AM

13 replies

Oct 13, 2016 3:22 PM in response to thirteencentpinball

I found the answer from Chayemor on this website:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/66129/how-i-deactivate-alt-scro ll-zoom-in-adobe-software-programs

Chayemor says:

So when Edit > Preferences > General > "Zoom with Scroll Wheel" is checked, then the Alt + scroll is disabled. But when you uncheck the option of "Zoom with Scroll Wheel", then Alt + scroll is enabled.

It still zooms when scrolling (without pushing Alt/Option), but it stops zooming when you have Alt/Option pushed at least.

Jan 23, 2012 1:27 PM in response to thirteencentpinball

Thanks to both of you. The Mouse preferences for Magic Mouse are a little different, but I tried the one in Universal Access. Unfortunately this seems to refer to the screen zoom (which I'm happy to turn off!) because it's still doing the same behaviour in Illustrator. Any other ideas? I wonder if this is application-centric though there aren't any preferences that I can find in Illustrator to change it. In Fireworks the behaviour happens when holding command, and doesn't appear to have preferences either.

Sep 30, 2013 2:48 PM in response to thirteencentpinball

Having the same issues in Illustrator.

In previous OSX versions you could just go to System Prefs/ Mouse and turn of scrolling.

I just upgraded to 10.8.5 and there's no such option.

I tried the Universal Access Pref's to no avail.

The issue is with just subtle finger movement scrolling around the artboard in Illustrator.

So when I'm zoomed in really close adjusting a minute line/etc., a flea's hair sizd movement of my finger sends the artboard all over the place - suuuuuuper frustrating.

And turns out, Better Touch Tool works! Thanks disco_bob!

Oct 13, 2016 4:19 PM in response to jillnatex

So, maybe you can change the keyboard shortcut for copying in Illustrator? I am in Photoshop trying to find where I can find the shortcut for the healing brush (to actually use it—Option click for a source point) to try to change it and so far have not been successful. But maybe the copy one is easy to change in Illustrator, so you don't have to use the Option key 🙂

How do I turn off Magic Mouse option-scroll zoom?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.