Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple logo on lid light doesn't dim.

Ever since when I did a fresh install of lion on my MacBook pro, the apple lid light just cuts out instead of dimming out like it did in snow leopard when I close the lid to put it to sleep. I was just wondering if there was an issue when I did the fresh install. It's not a big deal but it's just a little irritating. I don't know what's causing it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 11:11 PM

11 replies

Jan 24, 2012 1:16 AM in response to Dom954305

The lid light on macbooks uses the same LED backlight as the screen itself. Try dimming the screen and watch the apple dim as well, just to understand what I mean. With the screen dimmed you can actually shine a light from the back through the apple and light up the center of the screen.

One of the differences between Lion and Snow Leopard is the way the system goes to sleep. it's simply faster in Lion meaning the screen shuts off instantly instead of dimming like it used to.

In other words not an issue 😀 just a difference

Jan 24, 2012 7:00 AM in response to Dom954305

So you're saying that when your MBP went to sleep in Snow Leopard, the screen backlight gradually faded out? I've certainly never seen anything of that sort on my MBP, running Leopard or SL. Put it to sleep and the backlight winks out as if I'd flipped a wall switch. That's the normal behavior, and not just in Lion.

Mar 24, 2014 6:33 PM in response to Dom954305

Off course it's not big deal, but its not normal.

On Lion it faded since the first day on my McBookPro Late 2011. It is not fading out everytime since I installed Mavericks.

The thing I noticed, is that if I am working with my laptop, and close the screen, then the light just turns off without fadding, but if I open it again, it fades in, and if I try to close it again, it fades out. And it works normally, until I do some long job and it starts the problem again. First time it does not work, but after that time, it works normally.

In Lion always was working normal, unless something avoided the normal sleep of the computer (sharing services, usb devices plugged... etc).

Apple logo on lid light doesn't dim.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.