Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos imported from iPhoto 4s to iPhoto 11 are corrupt

I have an iPhone 4s, all latest software, and a new Macbook Pro .. literally 1 day old.

Yesterday I important a whole lot of videos from the iPhone, and most of them turned out corrupt, ie, glitchy, missing frames, splotchy .. Just bung as.

Audio seems fine on the videos, just the actually video image that is screwy.

So gutted, heaps of footage of important things lost, as I deleted them from the iPhone after importing.

Even some photos are importing glitchy, same deal.

Seem iPhoto 11 has way to many serious problems to be allowed on the market.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 1:55 AM

14 replies

Jan 24, 2012 3:31 AM in response to andyyykerr

Seem iPhoto 11 has way to many serious problems to be allowed on the market.

Seems like you have a tendency to leap to conclusions based on very little actual evidence. One Phone and one iPhoto? Really? Any chance that this is a local glitch on your set up? Who knows, maybe that's why there aren't thousands and thousands of reports of the same issue. Just a guess.

Regards

TD

Jan 24, 2012 10:18 AM in response to Yer_Man

Great. Excellent answer.I was more referering to the many other bugs that iPhoto seems to be having, but if you want to focus on that minor outburst of frustration, yes that would be really helpful!

I have actually seen other cases of this on other forums. It could be a 'local glitch', regardless, I would appreciate some actual support rather than totally useless replies like above.

Jan 25, 2012 5:15 PM in response to Yer_Man

Questions:

What do you need to know from me to start troubleshooting this issue? Has this happened to any one else? Did they figure out why? Is there any way to repair corrupt videos? Is there anyway to recover deleted videos from iPhone? Is this what apple support is like? Is there anyone on here besides TD who can actually help?

Jan 30, 2012 11:28 AM in response to andyyykerr

I've had the same problem ever since I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S. At first I thought it was the phone. However, when I imported the videos using the Image Capture application that comes bundled with Lion, the videos came out perfectly. Clearly, iPhoto can't handle the new video format for some reason.

No matter what you do to try to fix the corrupted videos in iPhoto, there is no way to recover them in the original form (I tried at least 5 third-party applications that are supposed to help fix corrupted videos). The only solution I have for now is to stop iPhoto from deleting videos from my iPhone 4S and then importing them manually through Image Capture. I hope Apple can figure out what's going on and fix it asap.

Feb 5, 2012 1:31 AM in response to andyyykerr

+1 for me, same issue.

Luckily iCloud saved the day with my backed up iPhone. And in my case, Image Capture imported the photos and videos fine - it was just iPhoto 11 that broke.

There's lots of discussion on this bug around the interwebs, and I've spoken to AppleCare but no solution. Report this as a bug via http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html

Feb 6, 2012 2:22 AM in response to andyyykerr

+1 for me too. Though most videos import fine, it's just a single video this evening that imported into iPhoto corrupted. I'll try the Image Capture workaround.

Hey, @sc0ttdav3y how did you use your iCloud backup to restore your videos and photos? Did you have to do a full restore of the phone using your iCloud backup, or is there some way to just access the backed up photos and videos?

Cheers,

Greg

Oct 22, 2012 6:46 AM in response to andyyykerr

Like many end-users I have lost precious captured video of my children due to an import glitch between my iPhone 4 to iPhoto 11; and between my iPhone 5 to iPhoto 11 (I am running the latest version of OSX snow leopard).

After importing videos from each phone using the built-in iPhoto import feature I chose the option to delete the imported videos/pictures from my iDevice (due to space constraints). I found that about 50% of my videos that I had imported (both from the iPhone 5 and from the iPhone 4) were corrupted when played through iPhoto 11 after the import. The audio is perfect. The video is completely fragmented. I have also tried to recover the deleted original video files using at least 4 different recovery tools to no avail. It appears the deleted files left no traces, but I cannot accept that.

Please, I beg you...someone let us amongst the impacted know how to find the traces of the original video files on our iDevices. I captured some of life's most precious moments on my iDevices and they seem to be gone completely. Please tell me there is a way. (also- no iCloud backups due to space limitations)

Thank you.

(TD- I work for a University...we can provide some courses on people skills if you like- sort of important at Apple)

Oct 22, 2012 10:28 AM in response to sweetsun97

The file is 11GB

Therein lies your problem. iPhoto has always had problems importing large video files. The workaround is to connect your camera to your Mac and use Image Capture to upload the files to a folder on the Desktop first. Then import from the Desktop into iPhoto.

Once you get the files off the memory card reformat it with the camera, create another large video and try importing directly into iPhoto. If it works then could have been something amiss with the card at the time.

OT

Videos imported from iPhoto 4s to iPhoto 11 are corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.