Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Folder Missing and Problems with transfer of data.

OK. Bought a new imac i7

1st question: is where has my home folder gone? Not on sidebar.

2nd questions: how does one see where the SSD drive and the HD drive are? How does one tell what is where?

Using migration and omiting the files, photos, music etc., i seem to have completed this successfully as all the programs are there.

Then using the original imac as the target, i transfered the files, desktop, photos, etc., over.

It is all there but seem to be mixed up.

I had to rename the new computer but the old computers name is also there and the info seems to be only there.

It would seem i mixed something up when transfering data.

Where should the files be and how do i get them in the correct spot?

On my side bar in the Desktop and other folders, they seem to be mostly empty.

But i do see a Mac HD2 drive down under the Devices in the side bar.

When i click on that, this is where i see my old computer name and files and everything seems to be in there.

Does this seem correct.

Something seem a miss here.

Please help.

Brad.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 6:37 AM

Re the 'missing' drives -

Open Finder Preferences (Preferences in the Finder menu),

On the General tab, make sure Hard Disks, External Disks, etc. are checkmarked.

On the Sidebar tab, ditto, plus anything else you want to be shown in the Sidebar. Your home folder is one of the choices.

2 replies

Jan 24, 2012 7:24 AM in response to Don Archibald

Don.

Thanks for the help. I did manage to find that and activate it.

However, i seem to have duplicates of my folders.

For example on the side panel of the new imac, i see the usual documents, pictures, etc., folders.

Thos are empty.

Down at the HD2 drive, I seem to have the same side bar but these folders are full.

I transfered those from my target hard computer but it would seem there are 2 drives SSD and HD2 with same named folders but also with different content. Pictures folder contents are different on these drives.

Does this seem correct to you or have i definately done something wrong.

When i launch a program such as lightroom, where will it load from.

The cat files etc, seem to be in HD2. But how does it know to go there when you launch.

Brad

Home Folder Missing and Problems with transfer of data.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.