Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5 isight not booting, screen remains black & fans start

Hello,

The iMac in question is a 2.1 G5 20" screen with iSight. It has worked perfectly with no problems up until recently, now when I go to switch on the chime sounds, the screen remains black and after about a minute the fans startup.

I have attempted to reset the SMU and PRAM to no avail.

I did manage (after several attempts) to boot into Target Mode with another mac connected by Firewire. The hard drive shows up and all the files seem to be there. I scanned the drive with TectTool Pro and repaired permissions, I also used Disk Warrior to rebuild the drive. Still the problem persists.

Tried to boot from CD but so far this has been unsuccessfull.

I have read of people having similar problems but have yet to find a working solution but I'm hoping there is one out there as the iMac was working wonderfully right up until this problem!

Thanks in advance

iMac G5 (20-inch iSight), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 6:07 AM

8 replies

Jan 28, 2012 6:35 AM in response to MGW

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling it could be what you say, having looked on a few forums this seems to be a common cause, apparently there was a run of dodgy capacitors doing the rounds in 2005 & unfortunately I think I may have some in my iMac.

Can't get the computer to boot with the Apple Hardware Test disc so I guess I will take it to the nearest Apple Store when I get a chance and if they can confirm what is suspected then the next step will be to order in the capacitors and have a go with a soldering iron once the mac is opened up. Never had to open up an iSight iMac before but I've heard they can be a little tricky, sure I've seen a web tutorial somewhere though, will have to look it up.

If anyone has experience of replacing these capacitors (particularly in iSight iMacs) I'd love to hear any advice.

Feb 24, 2012 7:54 PM in response to ArthurDaley

Almost the exact same thing happened to my iMac G5 17" w/iSight three days ago. Unfortunately, I was never able to get it into Target Mode. I brought it to an Apple authorized repair center and think that it is the logic board, but given some other history with my computer they are not necessarily recommending that I fix it. My thought is to take out the hard drive and buy another used G5. My fear is that the life of the logic boards and other parts (capacitors, etc.) of these G5s are running out and I'll soon be at the same place again. Any ideas or commnets will be much appreciated.

Feb 27, 2012 8:12 AM in response to ARCM

Hi ARCM, I can tell you where I am up to so far. I checked out a couple of youtube videos and followed a pdf guide to taking apart the iMac - it is no easy task, if you are going to have a go make sure that you don't have much else planned that day! After taking out and inspecting the logic board I did indeed find 2 bulging capacitors. I have now ordered an iMac capacitor replacement kit and all the relevant bits of soldering kit to get the job done, which I'm hoping will be one day this week. The impression I get from my research is that when the capacitors have been replaced that these G5's will continue working reliably.

I took out the hard drive and put it into a caddy & connected to another Mac to access some files I needed - everything was there just as I had left it. So hopefully yours should be fine too 🙂

Mar 27, 2014 9:24 PM in response to ArthurDaley

I am just curious as to what happened with your G5.

I have the same problem. The Apple people told me it is the capacitors and there is nothing that can be done to fix the computer. I took it to an Apple approved computer shop and they said the same thing. I had them add more ram just to see if that would help, but it didn't.

Now the thing is worse than ever, so thinking about getting a new computer. Hate to do that since this the G5 was expensive and nice to use, and the new one will be expensive also.

Just wondering if you got yours to work okay.

Thanks

iMac G5 isight not booting, screen remains black & fans start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.