Previous 1 2 Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 6:46 PM by Keith Barkley
DanielHarald Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi

I shoot in RAW and when I import my files into Aperture the RAW-fine-tune-engine changes my original settings.

I make timelapse-sequences and need to control the white balance manually. I do this on my Nikon D700 by selecting a specific value for the WB. On my camera mode is called WB K. Now, when I import my all my araw files into Aperture, the program automatically changes this setting to AUTO. When I read off the exif details for each photo, it says; AWB (meaning; auto white balance...) - but I do not shoot in this mode!!

It is very anoing and makes my timelapse sequence flicker... USELESS!!!!!!!

Please help me

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (65,575 points)

You probably checked that option already, but just to be sure: have you disabled the automatic Adjustment presets in the Import panel? This may add an automatic white balance. I cannnot check right now, if that also will be applied to RAW, for I don't have a camera ready right now.

wb.png

Regards

Léonie

• DanielHarald Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My import-adjusment is set to NONE... so that cannot be the cause... Thanks for your respond though!

Just checked again with my raw images in the library: (Canon EOS 5D)

When I enable the White Balance adjustment in the Adjustment panel, then the white balance tag  in the EXIF tags is set  to Auto, but with the white balence in the Adjustment panel disabled I see the White Balance Meta tag displayed as Fluorescent. But that does seem to depend on the camera.

• Mr Endo Level 3 Level 3 (995 points)

Daniel,

Has this problem just started happening?  Do you have some photos from the past in which the problem does not exist?  If so, what does the EXIF say on those?

And for a suggestion to help troubleshoot: take some pictures from your camera (not from Aperture) and copy them to someplace on your hard drive.  Open them (with Preview) and tell us what Preview shows in the EXIF information concerning white balance.

Then import them into Aperture, and tell us what Aperture shows in the EXIF white balance.

nathan

• Mr Endo Level 3 Level 3 (995 points)

Dnaiel,

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to control white balance for time-lapse photos?  (I am a proficient hobbyist photographer, and I always like learning!)

nathan

nathan,

I don't know why Daniel needs them, but I need to control the settings (white balance, exposure, focus) to be able to stitch panoramic shoots together and to compose parts from a time lapse sequence into a single image, or to animate the sequence without flickering. Also, for robotics applications (automatic motion estimation and tracking) it is necessary to have exactly the same capture parameters for all frames of the sequence.

Cheers

Léonie

Hello Mr. Endo

I do not know if it has just started to happen, because I do not save my raw files. It takes up way too much of my harddisk space.. But I suddenly noticed something wrong with the sequence.. It flickered all over the place.. and just as I thought.. It was a white balance issue..

I followed your instructions and via preview on the NEF.file I see that my nikon d700 produces a perfect file with manual white balance... The conclusion is that it is Aperture 3 that currupts my working process.. Shame..

exif data.jpg

I need to control the white balance manually if I wish to avoid 'flicker' in my sequence.... :-)

I have imported the same image into Aperture - adding no adjustments - and it suddenly has auto white balance on its EXIF data...

and if you disable the White Balance in the Adjustment panel like I did (in the Inspector - not in the Import settings), doesn't it revert from Auto to the camera setting, like with my raw images?

I am not sure what you mean by "disable the White Balance". In the Inspector, Adjustment - the White Balance adjustment is not applied as default. It only applies when you make an adjustment. How do you disable as you say?

EXIF data.jpg

White Balance.jpg

Daniel,

maybe my camera is just weird, but when I import Raw-Jpeg pairs and view the Raw, I find that the White Balance adjustment is applied automatically and the WhiteBalance EXIF tag shows "Auto".

When I disable the setting and set the the button to "off", the "White Balance" EXIF tag changes:

togglewb.png

But I do not shoot Raw very often, so you better follow nathan's advice

Cheers

Léonie

I see

Thanks for trying though...

It seems like Aperture has different interpretation-settings depending on which camera you use... When my White Balance setting is off... the EXIF data says; Auto White Balance.. and yours is flourescent...

I better look for another Raw-engine-software... any suggestions?

Cheers

• Keith Barkley Level 5 Level 5 (5,585 points)

DNG converter.

Actually for what you are doing jpegs are probably better controlled, especially if you are not doing much post processing.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,450 points)

Daniel -- I haven't read through the whole thread -- sorry -- so if this simple suggestion has been covered or is ill-conceived, just dismiss it and accept my apologies.

If your goal is to have the same WB for many Images taken in similar circumstances, perhaps simply setting the WB for one Image and lifting and stamping it to the entire series will:

- get rid of the flickering

- retain your ability to take advantage of RAW

- take the vagaries of AWB and in-camera settings out of the workflow.

Again, I offer this quarter-heartedly, with apologies for a fillip where a whole hand is due.

Previous 1 2 Next