Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what does compressor 4 do?

i am looking at buying final cut pro x, and have noticed compressor 4.

what is compresssor 4? and what does it do?

what i essentially need to know, is does it decrease the video size?

as i am currently using smart convertor to reduce the size of my imovie videos from 1gb movies to 134mb movies.

does compressor 4 do this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 10:51 AM

10 replies

Jan 24, 2012 2:09 PM in response to trigger5012

Well, here is a kind of highlight reel: It can scale video up or down; it can transcode from one codec to another; it can change frame rate; it can add chapter markers; it can separate audio and video streams for DVD authoring; it can create simple DVDs and BD; it can change standards from NTSC to PAL and vice versa. It can do many encodes of the same file as a batch. And more…

Michael Grenadier posted some highlights of Compressor as a user tip here.

Good luck.

Russ

Jan 30, 2012 1:41 PM in response to labcomp

I explain the two options where you can submit multiple files to Compressor in my manual. Here is the short explanation with two screenshots from the book.

1) Create a Droplet and drag all the selected files inside a folder over the Droplet at once:

User uploaded file

2) Once you defined a default Settings and Destinations in your Preferences, you can drag (one or ) multiple files into an open Batch window and Compressor creates individual Jobs for each file with those Settings and Destination. Now just click the one Submit button and you are on the way

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich (DingDingMusic.com)

Nov 30, 2012 9:01 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi I have a question. I went and installed a blu ray burner in my Mac Pro and burned blu ray discs. I am VERY happy with the quality of the video. Here is my question/dilemma. I shot my daughter's school play. It ran 1 hour and 51 minutes. It won't of a single layer blu ray -- only a dual. But as you know, they are quite expensive. Will Compressor make the video small enough to fit on a single layer disc? If it does, will it degrade the video quality? I have Compressor but I cannot understand how to use it.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 30, 2012 9:52 AM in response to Maximus68

Maybe. But probably not. Try the BluRAy preset. Select the job (not the target and open Job Action. When Job Completes, select Create BluRay Disk. See whether it will let you select single side. If it doesn't, select target; go into the encoding pane. Move the slider to the left until the message at the bottom indicates it will fit. Give yourself a cushion.

You probably won't see a quality hit. If you do, break it into two disks…part 1 and part 2…

Good luck.

Russ

Nov 30, 2012 10:06 AM in response to Maximus68

Video data compression works basically the same as audio data compression when you encode a CD track as mp3. Yes your new file will be smaller. The file size and the quality is a trade off. The higher the compression, the smaller the file size and the lower the quality. At what point you see or hear a quality loss is subjective. There are different algorithms and the newer ones do a really good job of a high file reduction without noticeable quality loss.

Compressor has a BlueRay setting which you can adjust in the Inspector to bring your video file size down to the required size. You can play with it until you find the best compromise.

User uploaded file

Of course, I'll explain the mechanisms on how to do that in great detail in my manual

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

what does compressor 4 do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.